Windows 10 Anniversary in E11 with 32eMMC ???

amel
amel Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello,

Now are ready for update Anniversary for Windows 10, i have a E11 (es1-111m) and i have free 15Gb in my disk. If i update (when my Windows offer me the update) , how space used later Windows 10 with Anniversary updated??

Thanks!

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

I think you will need a little bit more free space for the upgrade. Somewhere it was posted 17 GB. This space will be used for one month, in order to provide you with a potential "roll back" if something will not work on the aniversary update.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Actually 15GB. After the 3 gb download. Issue is that unlike Win 10 this does not give the option to use another disk. I have two 32GB tabs, one with 11.6GB free and the other with 12.4. Am seeing if compression will free up enough space but will be a while. If that does not work will see about moving a few big folders (e.g.WOW) elswhere.

And if that does not work will see about lying to it.

• padgett

Little more: the download itself is over 3 GB and then it needs about 15 GB more to install. No option to use an external disk. So with tab 1 I started moving files to the SD Card. At 18.1GB free was passing the initial check but then getting error 80070070 "insufficient free space". At 18.2GB free it installed.

Now working on second 32GB tab and once got over 18GB free (hint: do a search on "gigantic" files) acted the same. Is now installing.

Not sure what Microsoft is thinking.

• padgett

Have found that Windows will use a external drive formatted NTFS and if you are getting past the first test (checkmarks) but getting error 80070070 then try adding a NTFS drive. I know a SDD works but not if a SDCard or flash drive will.

Have now been able to update three tabs with 32GB drives.

• IJEnterprise
    IJEnterprise Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I found that by downloading the Windows 10 Anniversary Updsate onto a 32GB USB Drive on another computer, I was then able to use this USB Drive to update my ES1-111M.

If you plug the USB Drive into your ES1 then start the update from that Drive through Windows Explorer, it will then ask you if you want to use the memeory on the USB Drive for the upgrade process.  I had about 4GB free on my C:drive when I started the update and it worked OK.

Now typing this on the updated machine - touch pad still working fine and everything else that I have tested too.

Hope you find this post useful.

• padgett

Did the USB drive need to be formatted NTFS ?

• IJEnterprise
    IJEnterprise Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

Not sure if it needed to be formatted NTFS, but mine was because I earlier tried to see whether the extra storage would allow a straight update on the E11.  To try to make this work I reformatted the blank USB Drive with NTFS. But when attempting to update the E11 direct with the extra storage, I found no way to make it use the storage on the D: USB Drive which is why I went the route I did.

Hope this helps.

• padgett

If you did not have 16GB free on C, it would fail the first test and never get to the storage issue.

Interesting that you could do the whole thing on a flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. That seems to be the best answer.