Win10 drivers for Aspire S7-391

comp_wiz_bit
comp_wiz_bit Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives

I don't see Aspire S7-391 in the list of supported laptops for Win 10.  Why is that so?  I purchased an Aspire S7-391 series laoptop less than 2 yrs ago and now Acer is not even supporting it anymore with driver updates?

I have an icon from Microsoft that I can upgrade my laptop to Windows 10, but I don't see appropriate drivers for S7-391 on Acer's website.

Is Acer planning to provide Win 10 drivers for S7-391 in a few weeks/months?  

Answers

• moe
    moe Member Posts: 3 New User

Yep. Really annoying given that the laptop was released so recently. Unfortunatley I attempted the upgrade before finding the Acer "Windows 10 Update" page (http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models) and seeing the S7-391 not supported.

The upgrade went smoothly but after logging in I noticed that neither the WLAN Adapter or the USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet adapter appeared at all in Network Settings. No connectivity is a bit of a problem. Looking in Device Manager I can see that both the wired and wireless adapters are listed and are showing "This devices is working properly" under Device Status.

Everything else appears to work as expected. Really dissapointed because the laptop is otherwise a great fit for Windows 10.

• moe

For those of you that might make the same mistake I did in upgrading an S7-391, the good news is that Windows 10 has an option to roll back to Windows 8.1.

I found the rollback option by typing "Recovery" at the Windows 10 Start Menu. The explanatory blurb said that you have the option to rollback available for 1 month from the time that you upgrade. It also said that you may have to reinstall some applications and recommended making a backup of your data. After choosing the rollback option the S7 rebooted and about 10-15 minutes later I was back at my Windows 8.1 login screen with the WLAN and USB-to-Ethernet drivers working just as they were prior to the upgrade. I didn't have any issues with applications needing re-installation either. Microsoft have done a nice job with this recovery option. I did have my applications and data backed up but this saved me a lot of time and hassle.

I hope Acer change their stance and support the S7-391. The S7-392 and later models are supported. How different can they really be?

• bjd145
    bjd145 Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having the same issues with my Acer S7-391.  No network drivers. I can't believe  that a laptop that came with Windows 8 won't be supported by Acer to Windows 10.   Not planning on downgrading to Win8.1 anytime soon. I'm going to try a couple USB WiFi dongles first before going back down to Win8.1.

I really hope that Acer does the right thing and release drivers for the 391 or Microsoft releases drivers for it given their huge push to get to 1 billion Win10 devices in a year.

• JonG
    JonG Member Posts: 9 New User

This is absolutely ridiculous. I too upgraded to Windows 10, happy to move on from the dreadful windows 8/8.1, only to find the mouse no longer worked. Then discovered there are no Windows 10 drivers for the S7 391.

Sort this out immediately Acer. it is scandalous that you should not serve those early adopters who bought the first version of the S7. Shame on you. Sort it.

• moe

Solved!!!

After some digging around the web this weekend I found quite a few people (not just S7-391 owners) that were experiencing the same problem with no working network drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. Someone discovered that if they downgraded to Windows 8.1, removed any VPN software they had installed, then upgraded again, their connectivity was back!

In my case I had VPN software from both Cisco and Fortinet. I uninstalled both, rebooted, and went through the upgrade again. Success! Connectivity is back and I haven't run into any issues so far. In reading further, it seems as though the Cisco VPN client (pre Cisco Anyconnect) is the most likely cause of the problem.

So I'm happy that thngs are now working, but would still like to see 'official' support from Acer.

• bjd145
    bjd145 Member Posts: 2 New User

I also found a work around.  I had VPN software installed as well (Fortinet and Cisco Anywhere Connect) but I took a different route over the weekend. 

The solution that I did was upgrade to 10 and then did a full reset. This did a full install and formatted the drive.  I was okay with it since all my data is in OneDrive anyways for this machine and I only use a few applications outside of web apps.   After that, everything worked as expected.

So this doesn't look like a Acer issue but rather a Win10 issue with old VPN software.

• JonG

For me the wifi connection is working fine in Windows 10. It's the bluetooth mouse that's dead. i remember going through endless downloads and updates for the Qualcom-Atheros drivers for this in Windows 8/8.1 before finally getting it to work reasonably reliably. The message thread here ran to 100's! Now I fear going through all that pain again...

• JonG

Cracked it - found some instructions about pressing and holding the grey button inside the battery comparment of the mouse to get it to pair, and it did. Never had to do that before, but hey, it worked.

• High78
    High78 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same problems with mouse drivers in win10! Smiley Sad

Can you writte more detailed informations how you manage to connect it? Which old drivers did you had? I tried with the grey button but it was not working. Thank you in advance.

• High78
    High78 Member Posts: 2 New User

I did it. I had to press the gray button and then open the bluetooth devices and show the computer to pair with the mouse. Now it is working.

• JonG

The drivers I had before updating to W10 were Bluetooth_Atheros_v8.0.1.314_W81x64 and Wireless LAN_Atheros_v10.0.0.276_W8x64 (those are the names of the zip download files). The instructions about the grey button are here.

If I look in Device Manager now (after the W10 upgrade) I see 'Acer Bluetooth Mouse' in Bluetooth with driver Microsoft 10.0.10240.16391 dated 21/6/06 and 'HID-compliant mouse' in Mice and other pointing devices with driver Microsoft 10.0.10240.16384 date 21/6/06. Hope this helps.

• JAS88
    JAS88 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have this laptop as well, and my upgrade has been almost painless. Touchpad works great. Full network connectivity. Compared to some of the issues raised here, my only problem is relatively minor, but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas. 

Mine is a display issue. Whenever I close the laptop, desktop icons and any open windows move to the upper left corner of the screen. I've done some research and found that this is a common problem with multiple displays, but there are no other displays connected. I'm ONLY using the built-in laptop display. 

I have the latest Intel HD 4000 driver that is dated from last week. 

When I uninstall the driver and Windows reverts to the generic display driver, the problem doesn't occur. However, the generic driver doesn't allow you to adjust brightness, which is a must for me. 

Like I said, this is a pretty minor issue, given my use habits. I tend to close my browser and any open windows and all that before I close my laptop. But it's a bit of n annoyance. 

Any thoughts?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

Probably won't be a fix for that until they release another new driver. I expect Intell will do several before things really settle down. What's happening is the resolution is changing (probably to 640x480 or 800x600) just before it goes to sleep. Make sure you report the bug to Intel...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OscarAP
    OscarAP Member Posts: 1 New User

Yes, I´m also very diappointed for Acer's support on Windows 10.

• Lombiz
    Lombiz Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi,
    This is still a pretty capable laptop. 
    I have a much bigger problem. Touchscreen hasnt been working since upgrading to Win 10.
    Anyone else with the same problem. Tried all drivers etc but cannot get it to work.

Thanks in advance!
    Br,
    Peter

• SnakeDog116
    SnakeDog116 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I've got everything running, except for the graphics driver. I can share which drivers I'm using if you like.

Anyone got a working graphics driver?

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/514589/s7-391-windows-10-version-1703-display-driver-needed
  • ninnabarbosa
    ninnabarbosa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just clicked on "Update Driver" (Device Manager - Display Adapter), so it updated from "generic display driver" to "Intel HD Graphics 400", working fine. (Signed up just to update this). 

Enjoy,
    Diego
  • MikeDy
    MikeDy Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

IS ACER BEHIND SCHEDULE IN PROVIDING THE WIN 10 DRIVERS, OR HAVE THEY SIMPLY DECIDED TO ABANDON THEIR CUSTOMERS !!
  • SnakeDog116

Tinkerer

The HD Graphics 4000 is what my computer is trying to use, but I still can't change the brightness of the display.

And just a week or so ago my trackpad now stopped working too. If I change a setting (like sensitivity) in the ELAN control centre the trackpad will work one time... but as soon as I lift my finger it stops responding again. Anyone else got this working?
  • SnakeDog116

Tinkerer

Wait... did I seriously have an old version of the bios installed? I just upgraded that and I think it's working now...