Waiting for Windows 10 upgrade.

Options
damo44
damo44 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi

Circa 2010 Windows 7 D255 Aspire One user here.

A few days ago my netbook seemed ready to receive the Windows 10 upgrae, but overnight something had gone wrong with one of the Windows updates and it wouldn't even check for updates further.

A yway, I decided to do a factory reset and having applied around 300 updates to Windows 7, I'm now waiting for Windows 10 to arrive. Can anyone tell me..

a) How long will I have to wait for the download to start. The applet installed by the final Windows 7 update confirms that I had reserved my copy and should simply wait

b) Does the netbook need to remain logged in to receive the update, or is just being in a booted up tate ok

c) any experiences good or bad about running Windows 10 on an Aspire One D255 (or similar)

Thanks

David

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

you can download it manually from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • damo44
    Options

Thanks. I didn't know I could do that, downloading it now

• damo44
    Options

In case anyone else is debating whether to update this model to Windows 10, the upgrade went surprisingly well.

I really thought I'd have problems with such an old and very slow netbook like the D255. If anything it seems a little quicker than it did with Windows 7

• tottin
    tottin Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have an Acer Aspire One AOD255E. Is this the model you upgraded? Acer doesn't support Windows 10 drivers. Have you experienced any problems in this area?

Some time ago I upgraded my ram to 2 gb. Acer doesn't support that either, but it works fine. It has helped some but still slow. Would I still be able to choose 32bit even though I have 2gb? Do I need to have my Windows Certified Authentication Key handy to type in? Or is all this automated?

I use "Macrium Reflect" to image my drives, but there is one partition on this netbook that it won't image. I have never resolved this problem. Still I have the factory recovery on a usb stick. I'm hoping that if the windows 10 upgrade fails that I will be able to reinstall windows 7 starter.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm nervous about doing this.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

have an Aspire One 532h with an N450 that is both 32 and 64 bit capable. Came with Win 7. Did increase memory to 2GB. Running Win10 quite well.

• damo44
    Options

Hi. Mine is a D255-N55DQkk, I've no idea how different that is from yours.

A few points...

1. Mine was also very slow when I bought it. It would take ages to load a web page and as I'd bought it just to do browsing, that wasn't any good. My local PC store swapped the 1GB memory for a 2GB, but that didn't make any real difference. I lost patience and stuck it in a drawer and left it there unused for around 4 years.

2. I decided to try a Win 10 yupgrade on it, if it messed the D255 up that was no big loss, but before I did the upgrade I hink I found the reason it was so slow. Do a google search on ACER ASPIRE ONE NETWORK ADAPTER POWER SLOW and you'll find some postings about switching off power saving on the wireless adapter. That made a noticable difference to mine -  I would never describe it as quick, but at least it was usable

3. I immediately upgraded to Win 10 32bit, with no problems. I have not been asked for any product key during this upgrade or the ones I've done on any other Win 7 or 8.1 device

4. I have one desktop machine that simply won't upgrade. It gets to around 80% and gets stuck. I've tried the upgrade over 10 times and each time it has rolled back to Win 8.1 when I've forced a reboot and kept all the original settings. So I wouldn't worry about your upgrade failing, it should just revert.

Hope this helps

• padgett
    Options

My 532h has a slightly earlier/slower processor (N450) than yours (N550) and should be faster according to the specs. Both are 64 bit capable.   It also upgraded without difficulty. I agree it runs better on Win 10 than Win7.

Key is that to run well it really needs the memory increased. Mine came with 1GB and I increased to 2GB which is the max for my unit. Not particularly hard.

• tottin
    tottin Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thanks so much for your input. I do have my wifi off (disabled) since I have my Netbook hardwired. (It's my secret nighttime escape for a few games before sleep.) I do rely on it however when my disabled daughter is having some surgery; major or otherwise. So I'll give it a go.

• padgett
    Options

Damo44: I just went through a four day ordeal getting a Win7 machine up to Win10 with all apps intact. What took so long was first I had to do an upgrade from Win7-starter to Win8-Pro (had an extra license but the upgrade did not want to include the Apps (Office, Adobe, Lview).

Went through a number of rollbacks (each too hours) until I had the right mix of updates and patches loaded. Finally had to break up 200 patches into groups of 20 until when a check for updates was run it found no more. Twice. Then the install would take place.

Have had that happen a couple of times but until all patches, critical and important, relating to Windows (do not need Skype or Flash) were installed it would not succeed.

• damo44
    Options

Hi Padgett, I'm not the one having problems with a Win 7 to 10 upgrade, mine worked first time on my D255 last year.

I only threw in my failed upgrades (on a non-Acer fully up to date 8.1 desktop) as an example of how a failed 10 upgrade rolls itself back the previously installed version of Windows, at least it has done every time I've done an uncsuccesful 10 upgrade.

• padgett
    Options

Sorry, some times it is hard to keep track of who began a thread.

Experienced many "rollbacks" when 200 patches were due. Strange that the rollback takes longer than the original install. One issue is that many newer tablets and 2in1s do not have a disk activity light so hard to tell something is happening.

• damo44
    Options

No problem Pagett, it can get a bit confusing in a long rnnng thread.

My own, admittedly narrow, experience of rollbacks relating to a Win 10 upgrade is that it's actually fairly quick. 

On my desktop Win 8.1 PC (built on an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 mobo) each attempted upgrade took around 30 minutes after the download completed, would get to around 83% overall and then hang (no disk or CPU activity lghts). After a forced reboot, the actual rollback would only take around 3 minutes.

I do understand the point about a disk activity light though. To me, if you're waiting for something to complete and there's no disk light extant and/or flashing then something's wrong. Modern CPUs are so fast (relatively) that it's disk activity that governs most installs and upgrades, not waiting for some CPU bound calculation to finish

• padgett
    Options

Yes. Rollbacks from 10 to 8.1 do not take long. It was the patches from my licensed 8.0 PRO (200) in order for 8,1 to load that were the pain (and those "load failure, removing" that were taking hours on a 4 core 2.5GHz with 8GB of ram that were the killers). Finally I had to break the 200 down to 20 at a time and that finally worked. Then 8>8.1>10 was less than a day. Was also upgrading from a 80GB to a 500GB disk (used images for that).

Might have been faster to go straight from Win7 to Win10 but then would not have PRO or maybe my Apps.

OHOH investing about 5 min per hour for four days and I have both 10 pro and all of my Apps and the bigger disk are working.

• big-w
    big-w Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Tried that.  You get so far and then they ask you to choose one of two choices:  Enter your Windows 10 key (Never got one), or download Windows 10 now and pay for it later. 

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Windows 10 upgrade was free till 31st of July 2016. If you upgraded later, you will need to provide your own license key, since it's not anymore free.

• IronFly
    Options
    I did an upgrade last week and it was still free, probably Microsoft is still giving some extra room.
  • big-w
    Options
    I don't understand IronFly. Did you go through the MS website? How did you answer the license key question?
  • IronFly
    Options
    I created a bootable windows installation media, then at the product key request, i skipped.
    The first time you will connect to the web, it will read your previous windows product key and authenticate.
  • big-w
    Options

Thanks.  I did the same thing.  So far, so good.  I'm hoping I don't get some sort of Pay or Else pop-up in the next thrity days!

BTW, it's working very well.  Thanks Again!

• padgett
    Options

Can go to Control Panel>System. Toward the bottom it should say "Windows is Activated". Can also use a third party tool such as from Nirsoft to retrieve and save your keys.