VN7-791G bluetooth devices not working after Windows 10 upgrade

Rcmaps
Rcmaps Member Posts: 18 New User

After upgrading to Windows 10 on my 2 month old Acer VN7-791G, my Logitech bluetooth mouse could not pair, my bluetooth speakers could not pair and neither could by Nexus 7.  All these devices were working fine on Win 8.1 earlier.

Under Device Manager, only the generic Windows Bluetooth, Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and LE Enumerator drivers were showing (dated  21/6/2006). 

Under Network adapters, the driver showing was the Qualcomm Atheros QCA64x4 ver 10.0.0.62 dated 18/5/2015.

I checked that this model is indeed compatible under ACER's website for Windows 10.  I have also been checking the ACER drivers for Win 10 for this model but there are no new updated ones for Bluetooth.

I downloaded the Win 8.1 ones and installed them but they still would not work (the Microsoft ones are still showing under Device Manager).

I had to actually downgrade back to 8.1 a few days ago due to this issue but thought I would try to update to Windows 10 again hoping it would work but still no luck. 

I had googled but can't seem to find a solution and suspect that I need an updated bluetooth driver for Windows 10 from Acer or Broadcom.  The Atheros website do not have any Windows 10 bluetooth drivers as well.

I may have to downgrade again and try again in a few months time unless someone could please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• jsaienni
    jsaienni Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

Hi, so I only installed the Atheros drivers as that's whats in my system (I visually verified previously when I added an SSD). I did not have luck with NFA222, and did not install the 3.0.0.373 (middle one).

I also tried installing a few other atheros, win10/win8.1 drivers I found from other sources. None of those worked.

My standard method of installing new drivers is uninstall any existing, then use the setup.exe available with the download. Then restart.

Here's what I'm looking at. Note the LG Mini is my BT enabled stereo. I also had it connected to my android so I'm certain things are working as expected.

Untitled-1.jpg

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

This driver must be compatible with windows 10, it's the latest:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=353&func=startdown&id=1569

start the exe to extract the files, then on the new folder, browse for a setup or install.exe and launch it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rcmaps

Thanks for the pointer.

I downloaded and installed the drivers but Device Manager is still showing the Microsoft ones and the pairing is still not working.

In desperation I also installed the VN7-591G's bluetooth drivers (I was guessing the only difference in the two models were basically the screen size), however that too did not work.

I'll have to revert back to Win 8.1

The only pain is everytime in order to upgrade to Win 10, it takes ages to download the files (3.6Gb), I would have thought Windows would have dumped the files somewhere on the C drive, however when I manually forced upgrade in a DOS box, it still took ages to download.

Oh well, have to wait for ACER or Broadcom to issue proper working drivers.

Thanks anyway.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

have you checked if any device is hidden?

on device manager, click on view and select show hidden devices

i would also try ot right click on the Microsoft BT driver and uninstall, then reboot

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rcmaps

I did try to install different drivers and then uninstall them and reinstall others.  During one of the sessions I tried to uninstall the Microsoft ones as well.

Didn't know about hidden drivers, I'll try that next.

Thanks.

• darthgunner
    darthgunner Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the same model - VN7-791G (mine is the 76Z8) and having the same problem.  Tried everything listed and a few more, including trying the Atheros Suite - which I know is not made for Win10, and it showed, with its prompt and angry bluescreening...

REALLY wish the supposedly CUSTOM report the upgrade advisor gave had a clue what it was talking about, cuz I would have avoided upgrading until they get it hammered out.  In the interim, I am doing the same and reverting to 8.1.  

What a pain.  2 different multi-billion dollar companies can't get together on something as pervasive as BT?  

Come on...

• Rcmaps

Thank you for chipping in darthgunner.  I was beginning to think I was the only one with this trouble!

On Windows 10, under Device Manager --> Bluetooth, there were three drivers listed, all Microsoft ones (2006).

I reverted back to Windows 8.1 and the main one I noticed included now is the "Bluetooth USB Module", a Qualcomm Atheros driver Ver 3.0.0.373 (21/08/2014). 

This was missing under Windows 2010.

Is there any way to manually point and include this in Windows 10, I can see where these drivers are located under Window 8.1 (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) ?

Here are some screenshots.

BluetoothDevices.PNGBluetoothDevices2.PNG

• darthgunner

I know exactly what you mean about thinking you were the only one.  Before you made this thread, I thought I was the only one.  Google has been surprising quiet on the subject.

Anyway, great idea grabbing the Win8 drivers right out of a 8.1 load.  You can throw those files (listed on driver detail screen cap) on a thumb drive, or cd or whatever, and try doing a manual update after reloading Win10.

You are more ambitious than I am though.  It sounds like a lot of work, and little hope of a payout.  I think I'll wait and see if Acer / Qualcomm Atheros / MS can get their sh!t together.

Please keep us posted on your fortunes trying this - There may not be many posts - except you, me, and the guy who tells everyone to reinstall the drivers - but it is getting some views, so I think others are having the same issues.

• jsaienni

Hi. Found this thread. Bluetooth on my acer vn7-791g also stopped working after the win 10 upgrade.

After a lot of searching and attempts, I was able to get it working again using the following driver:

Bluetooth_Atheros_3.0.0.373_W81x64_A 

Located on the acer support site

BluetoothAtherosBluetooth driver (NFA344)3.0.0.373

Should decompress to :  

LITE-ON Bluetooth_M 3rd WiFi 2x2 AC+ BT M.2 QCA NFA344_3.0.0.373_W81x64

Note that this is a win 8.1 driver, but it works. Hope this helps

• darthgunner

Dang - I rolled it back to 8.1 not an hour ago...  Just my luck

• Rcmaps

Thanks for the tip.

I had already reverted to 8.1 but will try updating again tonight to test this out.

I think I may already have tried this driver but it didn't seem to work but I installed many others and it may have been corrupted somewhat.  I'll try a fresh re-install of Windows 10 and this driver first up.

There are some many other Bluetooth drivers listed for this model under Windows 8.1. 

BluetoothDevices_Win8.1.PNG

Was this the ONLY driver you installed under Win 10? 

• Rcmaps

Well, I upgraded back onto Windows 10 again.

Again after upgrade, just those three Microsoft bluetooth drivers listed under Device Manager.

I then installed the Windows 8.1 Bluetooth drivers as suggested -

Bluetooth_Atheros_3.0.0.373_W81x64_A.zip which when extracted shows the following folder name

LITE-ON Bluetooth_M 3rd WiFi 2x2 AC+ BT M.2 QCA NFA344_3.0.0.373_W81x64

Rebooted and restarted but Device Manager still showing the Windows Driver.  Only change is the older version of the wireless adapter driver.

Interestingly under the Event box of each of the drivers, there is some message about "...requiring further installation..."  I have no idea how to further install these!

As mentioned earlier on the first page, it appears that the "Bluetooth USB Module" did not install - I suspect that is the key to solving the issues here.

Looks like, I'll have to go back to Windows 8.1 again. 

Still no Windows 10 bluetooth drivers for this model posted on the ACER website.

BluetoothDevices_Win10.PNG

• Rcmaps

BTW, I installed those files in three different ways:-

1. Run Setup.exe
    2. Run the setup in compatibility mode under windows 8
    3. Run Setup.exe as Administrator

Each time I uninstalled and rebooted the machine before re-installing.

No difference in each case!

• jsaienni
    Answer ✓

Hi, so I only installed the Atheros drivers as that's whats in my system (I visually verified previously when I added an SSD). I did not have luck with NFA222, and did not install the 3.0.0.373 (middle one).

I also tried installing a few other atheros, win10/win8.1 drivers I found from other sources. None of those worked.

My standard method of installing new drivers is uninstall any existing, then use the setup.exe available with the download. Then restart.

Here's what I'm looking at. Note the LG Mini is my BT enabled stereo. I also had it connected to my android so I'm certain things are working as expected.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Rcmaps

Yay! Success at last! 

Well, I had to resort to drastic measures which I was dreading and delaying.

Basically, I rolled back to Windows 8.1

Then Reset PC to Factory Setting.  This wiped out all data and applications/programs

After getting back to default Windows 8.1, I tried pairing my bluetooth mouse and it worked

I then immediately installed Windows 10 (from ISO file downloaded earlier) off a USB stick

I chose the option for a clean install (this doesn't load any of the ACER bloatware)

Once logging into Windows 10,I went into Device Manager and uninstalled all Bluetooth drivers

Then I ran the setup for the Windows 8.1 Atheros bluetooth drivers as suggested - "LITE-ON Bluetooth_M 3rd WiFi 2x2 AC+ BT M.2 QCA NFA344_3.0.0.373_W81x64"

I tried pairing my mouse and Nexus 7 and it works!!!

For reference, here is my setup under Windows 10 after successfully pairing bluetooth devices.

btw, interesting to see that the event log still reports some error about further installation just like earlier - probably indicates that the Win 8.1 Acer drivers are not 100% compatible yet.

Win10_Bluetooth3.PNG

Win10_Bluetooth.PNG

• squarewave00
    squarewave00 Member Posts: 4 New User

thanks for this - it worked perfect.

• Rcmaps

Great to hear that it has helped someone to get things going again!

It was very frustrating for me.

By the way, I noticed that a Microsoft cumulative update KB3081441 fixed the problem of Intel USB hub being disabled everytime the computer goes to sleep and wakes up or after shutdown restart. 

I had to go into Device Manager to re-enable it before Bluetooth starts up again.

The KB3081441 update contains a lot of revised new Microsoft bluetooth drivers amongst other things that makes the bluetooth more stable now.

So make sure you do install the update after upgrading to Windows 10.

• wolund
    wolund Member Posts: 1 New User

It didn't work for me, somehow my nitro black edition would not detect any bluetooth devices.

• Rcmaps

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

Anyway, I had been monitoring the ACER driver site every few days for updates and after your message, I went to check again and voila!!!

Looks like a whole lot of recently updated drivers including Bluetooth ones!

See the yellow highlighted ones.

I'm going to download and install them right now.

You should try those too and see how you go.

Win_10_drivers_27082015.PNG

• Rcmaps