V5-571P Laptop not on Windows 10 Upgrade list...really?

Options
cec33
cec33 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm still struggling to believe that Acer is not including the V5-571P on the Windows 10 upgrade list.  The exclusion is certainly at odds with the materials that Acer and Microsoft have promoted about the availability of the upgrade.

Will the upgrade be blocked actaully preventing me from installing it?  The Windows 10 upgrade button would appear to support this as my prior confimred upgrade now shows as unavaiable and to check back later.

Is this lazy engineering on Acer's part not wanting to support it.  Would really like an explanation how a 2 1/2 year old laptop is not on the list.  Acer CEO feel free to give me a call about letting your customers hang out to dry.  Guess that's what I get buying from a third-tier manufacturer...note to self.

Anyone else have experience or sucess with this model and upgrading?  Hoping to rid myself of Windows 8. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

This list:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

doesn't mean that you can't upgrade to windows 10 but only that Acer will provide driver support for the following products....

it's just a matter of drivers support, so you can let windows 10 upgrade them for your or manually check if windows 10 fails to find new one but you will never find on Acer support webpage any windows 10 drivers for your model.

you can download the upgrade from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • cec33
    Options

The lack of driver support is pretty lousy based on the age of the laptop essentially that precludes an upgrade unless you want to deal with bugs.  This isn't a 5 or 6 year old laptop.  Guess such a small company doesn't have engineering staff to adequately support the models they foist on consumers, got your money and move on lesson learned.   

• iremia
    iremia Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I upgraded without any problem. However, after 20 minutes and repeatedly thereafter it would fail. Blue screen Smiley Sad . Would gather information and tell me it was a Memory management problem. I ran the MS troubleshooter and no problem was found. I gave up after three hours and reverted to 8.1. No problems now. Will need some suggestions before I attempt again.

• bluesriff
    bluesriff Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

i upgraded my V5-571P to windows 10 the only issue i have found is my bluetooth was not working had to reinstall the bluetooth driver all ok now( had the same issue with 8.1) but i am not happy about acer not supporting the drivers for this model

Spoiler

• cec33
    Options
    Finally got the Windows upgrade assitant notification that Win 10 was available for my V5-571P. At least Acer didn't actively block the update, "just" didn't support it, which is weak sauce.

Kudos to Microsoft for a pretty painless upgrade overall, yes MS thanks for devoting resources to the upgrade. Touchpad isn't working right is first thing I've noticed, doesn't scroll. Will have to play with settings. Been radio silence from Acer on lack of updated drivers, bottom line buy from companies with sufficient engineering support.... Good luck to everyone else with the upgrade.
  • durginga
    durginga Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

My V5-571P upgraded, but the microphone does not work for Cortana. Any idea on fixing this? Is there a driver or reinstall for this issue. Otherwise so far so good. Seems like ACer should support this model barely a 2 yr old. Especially since I did not have a choice to avoid Windows 8 when I bought it.

• iremia
    iremia Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I did the upgrade again - had some time. Same problem Blue screen - Memory management approximately every twenty minutes. I started by disabling all my startup programmes and services other than Microsoft and Acer. Problem persisted. Reviewed the event log noticed that there was an acer epower event just before the crash. I disabled and have now removed acer epower management. No blue screens sofar.

Noticed that my Mcafee Internet Security was causing an error too. It was not updating. For some reason a new device had been created on my account, duplicate name. My account only supports three devices. I disabled the duplicate and had to reinstall Mcafee. Everything seems to be working fine now