Upgraded Aspire V5-122P to Windows 10, now get blue screen crashes.

E-M-C
E-M-C Member Posts: 3 New User

I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10 via Microsoft online about 6 weeks ago. The problem started right away but then seemed to resolve. Suddenly, it is happening again. Sometimes, several times in a row, other times it is infrequent. Always unpredictable. Blue screen reads "driver unloaded without cancelling pending operations" and then computer restarts. I do receive all continuing Windows updates, automatically.

Strangely, "Apps and features" in Settings shows that I have two, identical Windows Driver Packages that were installed in December 2015 when I upgraded (why two?), but they are shown as version 2.08.28 with a date of 1/18/2013. I have looked on the Acer site for Windows 10 drivers and BIOS updates but the only ones shown are for 8 and 8.1.  I couldn't find an answer in this forum through a search on already-answered questions.

Should I install the latest Acer BIOS update listed (it seems rather old: 7/24/2014)? Would that BIOS be compatible with Windows 10 and safe to try? Or do I need a new BIOS update and where do I find it? Where do I find the right drivers? All of my current system drivers show as "OK" when I run msinfo32.

I cannot trust this machine and so tried to use my recovery USB to get back to factory Windows 8. The Recovery feature now says that recovery via USB is not possible. I changed the boot order in BIOS to make USB the priority, but nothing changed. I cannot undo Windows 10 via windows.old because more than 31 days have passed since I upgraded. I have removed any anti-virus software except Windows Defender, which I run frequently and shows no infections. I need help in fixing Windows 10, or getting my USB recovery function to work. Thanks.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Probably there is or are some drivers to update to windows 10 version.

windows 10 normally will update them but for unknow reason that doesn't always work.

do you have any antivirus installed?

i would update BIOS too, even if it's an "old" version.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • E-M-C

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'll try updating the BIOS from Acer and see what happens.

I have Windows Defender anti-virus installed.  Would that be causing a problem? And what to do about it? Thanks!

• IronFly

windows defender is ok.

• E-M-C

I upgraded BIOS to latest version without problem. So far, no BSOD, but I will need to see if the computer stays stabile for several days to know if this fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.

• IronFly

You welcome.