Upgrade to Windows 10 on Aspire V5-122P and Wifi

wagrimes
wagrimes Member Posts: 4 New User

This last weekend I foolishly decided to upgrade my Aspire BV5-122P from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 while on a business trip. The upgrade went fine but when I rebooted I found that I lacked any wifi capabilities. Since I was in a hotel room and since my Aspire did not have any ethernet port, I was pretty well shut down. I Googled the problem and found a suggested regedit that was supposed to fix this problem. I applied it but wifi still is not showing. I'm suspecting that I need one or more driver updates. Right now my hands are tied until the USB-to-Ethernet device I ordered comes in on Friday.

Has anyone had this experience and are there any suggestions?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

It often happens when there was a VPN client installed before the upgrade. I had it happen on my W700 due to an older version of the SonicWALL Global VPN Client. I rolled back to 8.1, uninstalled SGVC and redid the upgrade. The upgrade went smoothly and everything is working right. I was able to reinstall (a newer version) SGVC and it's working fine.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wagrimes

Of course, I didn't plan ahead and don't have a backup or install disk for Windows 8.1. Is there any easy way to restore 8.1?

• billsey

If you did an upgrade install, you can just roll back to 8.1. There are only problems when there was very little space on the drive during the install. If you had a reasonable amount free then the rollback should be easy. I did it with mine when I saw the VPN issue, then re-upgrded after getting the bad software off.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wagrimes

The rollback to 8.1 went well and I now have wifi again. Since this model doesn't have an ethernet port I am loathe to try the installation of Windows 10 again. No wifi, no Internet. I thought that perhaps an upgrade to the adapter driver might fix things but I can find no indication that either Acer or Qualcomm has any Windows 10 updates.

While I've seen that others have had wifi problems I have so far found none in the community exactly like mine. Has anyone else lost wifi capability after upgrading and is there any known solution?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just download the latest Acer driver set for 8.1 first. Then upgrade to Win 10. Then run the Acer Driver set. Everything incl WIFi should work.

• billsey

wagrimes wrote:

The rollback to 8.1 went well and I now have wifi again. Since this model doesn't have an ethernet port I am loathe to try the installation of Windows 10 again. No wifi, no Internet. I thought that perhaps an upgrade to the adapter driver might fix things but I can find no indication that either Acer or Qualcomm has any Windows 10 updates.

While I've seen that others have had wifi problems I have so far found none in the community exactly like mine. Has anyone else lost wifi capability after upgrading and is there any known solution?

Happy the rollback went well. Did you have a VPN client installed? I saw exactly your problem when I tried an upgrade on a machine with an older SonicWALL Global VPN Client installed.

• wagrimes

I did that but with no change. I still cannot see Wi-Fi anywhere, although the driver was apparently updated so the card was recognized. Since I need this device to work now, I rolled back to Windows 8.1 which worked. I also attached a USB hub with an ethernet port and hooked it to my route, which seemed to recognize the connection but again I could find no way to connect or to configure that connection.

• billsey

Which is exactly the symptom with the VPN conflict. Do you have a VPN client installed?