Understanding the upgade process (currently Windows 10)

I see a lot of people trying to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade fails, something goes wrong, and they have a brick (old computer term).

First things first: CREATE A RECOVERY DRIVE. Win 7-8.1 can use an 8GB flash drive, Win 10 wants a 16GB.

Microsoft will reformat the drive to FAT32 and this is why you cannot use it for a System Image, the maximum file size for FAT32 is 4GB and System Image creates a file that may be the same size as your drive.

With the recovery flash drive you can restore the machine's OS but not your data or apps. For that you will also need a System Image. For this you need an external drive (not removable like a flash drive) that has more available space than your disk and is formatted NTFS (NTFS can handle up to 256TB in theory. The image is stored in a special directory (can store multiple images on a single disk - I use TB USB 3.0 disks for images though anything larger than your PC's capacity is fine).

The System Image will create an exact copy of your machine including all data files and app (if requested) as it exists at that moment.

Both Recovery creator and System Image creator exist in all versions of Windows since Vista but have moved around in different versions.

Note System Image is built into Windows but is kind of dumb. For instance even if you are only using 60GB of a 500GB disk, you cannot place that image onto a 250GB drive even if you shrink the partitions (it will fail) and if you put on a 1TB drive it will look like a 500GB drive when over. Can use DISKMGMT.MSC to correct when done. 

There are third party apps that can take and restore system images but I generally limit myself to what is available with Windows. A nice one is bundled with Samsung EVO SSDs.

Once you have this you can always return to the base point even if the hard disk becomes corrupted (during the Windows 10 Preview I had to recover using an image three times. With USB 3.0 components it takes less than a 1/2 hour).

Next, just to have a backup there are several freeware programs such as from Nirsoft that can recover the current system key from the BIOS. If the machine did not come with Windows 10 then the upgrade process will create a new key. Good to back that up as well.

Once you have that, then proceed to Windows 10 upgrade. Be aware that even on a speedy machine it can take hours, some of which just show a blank screen (having a disk activity light really helps your peace of mind).

First you must have loaded all patches, both optional and necessary, that have the word "Windows" in the title. For a new machine this can take hours. If something fails, try again. Three of the four days it took me to bring a 7-Home desktop up to 10-Pro (had an 8-Pro license) were spent getting 2GB of patches installed.

If Windows 10 tries to install, fails, and does a rollback (sequence can take 6-8 hours) it is usually because a required patch is missing.

Some smaller machines will complain that there is not enough disk space available. In this case a 16 GB SDcard or external HDD (not a flash) can be used for the extra space.

If you follow these steps, you will always be able to return to where you were, skip any at your own peril.

Once the upgrade is done I repeat the process of creating a new recovery flash drive and System Image stored offline. Just in case.