There is not enough memory on my Aspire Switch 10E to update Windows 10. I cant make more space.

Options
suzie1l
suzie1l Member Posts: 6 New User

I have tried to delete windows 8 but nothing happens when I try.  I have tried to delete programmes I don't need but it doesn't work.

Any advice would be welcome.  It has been the same since I bought the device 4 months ago.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Options

Often you can get around the space limitation by installing an SD card of appropriate size, then download the update manually to the card. If you run it from there it will use the card for needed temporary files.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pkitty
    Pkitty Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

You can usually free up a lot of memory on the C drive by running CCleaner (www.filehippo.com) and cleanmgr.exe (Disk Clean-up comes with Windows).  I run a batch program every time I turn my 10E on to run both automatically but run them manually does the same thing.  To keep the C drive as clean as possible, add a 64GB SD-card to store personal files, portable programs, and any apps you add - Windows settings for storage of photos, apps etc. can point to the new "drive".  (There's one down-side - Macrium Reflect Free (www.macrium.com) can create an image backup on the card but will NOT restore from this drive. You have to copy the file to an external USB drive.)

I now have Windows 10 v1511 on an Acer Aspire Switch 10E SW3.  The update to v1607 has been done on another pC but not this one. But I have backups ready in case it fails badly. Smiley Wink

• suzie1l
    Options
    I have not managed to get the system to delete anything to make more space. Windows 8 was on before I bought it, the message says it will automatically delete after a month or I can delete it now. It is still there.

I will try the above suggestions and see what happens. I am not very good with technology. Thanks for the replies.
  • Pkitty
    Options

I read your post again and wonder why you are trying to delete your operating system!  The free upgrade to Windows 10 expired a few months back and required you upgrade over an existing legitimate install of Win7 or Win8.  The Win7 upgrade was on a

If you want to upgrade to version 10 now, you probably have to buy it. Note that when Win10 installs for the first time, it creates a "digital entitlement" based on your computer's hardware (processor). Once Win10 is "activated" online you can do a "clean" install anytime you want on that computer - just bypass all reference to keys. It will "activate" online.

• suzie1l
    Options
    I have windows 10, the device came with it already installed, but it must have has Windows 8 on previously. Every time it tries to update it fails due to lack of memory. I don't know what you mean by a clean install. I just want to be able to use the laptop for basic stuff, emails, Facebook and a few searches. At the moment I'm using my phone as it works better.
  • Pkitty
    Options

Have you contacted the company you bought it from?  Does it have a warranty? Your C drive shouldn't be filled up with extra programs. This is a portable pc of limited memory so you will run out of space fairly quickly. Isn't there a list of tricks to store stuff on an SD drive instead of the C (systemj drive?   I should write one!

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

If you have only 32gb for the C: drive, you have a problem. You must free up 15GB on C: to run the Anniversary upgrade online. If not you need to download the update to a flash or SD card and run it externally.

I have it on all of my 32 GB tabs but it was not simple. Hopefully M$ learned a lesson with Anniversary because the updates since have required much less memory.

• suzie1l
    Options

I have found an SD card, didn't know there was a port for an SD card.  I only need to make space for 8 KG to do the upgrade, but can't find a way to upload onto the SD card.  I will try again another time.

• Pkitty
    Options

An Acer Switch SW3-013 provides a slot beside the earphone jack for a MicroSD card - SDHC or SDXC, 32gb is a good size and inexpensive (I use 64gb).

Push the card carefully into the slot (tablet can be on) with printed side up and the tiny triangle on the card pointing toward the slot. Windows File Explorer should detect it as drive D:. At this point you may want to right-click on the new drive and format it to NFTS (same as C drive). If you ever want to remove the card, you must first request its removal using the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray.

There are Windows settings to save media files and Apps to the new drive instead of the C drive. You can check out the many portable apps that can be installed on the new drive. A search for storage settings should find it.

(For Macrium Reflect Free users: you can create image backups (10-14gb) on a card drive but can only restore from an external USB.)

• suzie1l
    Options

Thanks for the replies. A combination of moving stuff to the SD card, deleting things I don't need (Candy Crush) and clearing temporary files etc. I was amazed to find one day there was enough memory to run the anniversary update and all is now up to date. It too a few days to do it but now it is done.

Thanks for the support I was close to giving up.

• Pkitty
    Options

How much free space did you have on your C drive before Windows was able to update?  Lots of people would like to know!

• suzie1l
    Options

It was about 8GB.  It told me each time it failed to update how much space it needed and the option to clear some space.