The Windows 10 Installation Failed

Options
Sitedrifter
Sitedrifter Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an Acer V 17 Nitro Black Edition (VN7-791G)

I have tried over 10 times to upgrade to Windows 10. Using the app (said I was ready to upgrade) to using a USB drive setup by the media creation tool from Microsoft. Everytime I have tried to upgrade I get the same error:

Something Happened

The Windows 10 Installation Failed.

That is the only error I get. I have the latest drivers, did a clean boot with no programs loaded and still get the same error. There are alot of crazy ideas on how to do it but none of them worked (eg; setting the date a day into the future)

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this as Microsoft support is worthless.

Thanks

Site

[subject line edited to reflect new topic]

Best Answer

• Sitedrifter
    Answer ✓
    Options

I figured it out.

I checked the error log that was created during the installation failure. It said my computer name was invalid. The name of my computer is Proxy. It seems Microsoft does not like names like that used for your computer. I tested this by renaming my computer system and it still failed with the same invalid name error. I then changed the computer name to Nitro and the install worked perfectly. After all this time and effort, I am glad I figured it out.

Answers

• Sitedrifter
    Answer ✓
    Options

I figured it out.

I checked the error log that was created during the installation failure. It said my computer name was invalid. The name of my computer is Proxy. It seems Microsoft does not like names like that used for your computer. I tested this by renaming my computer system and it still failed with the same invalid name error. I then changed the computer name to Nitro and the install worked perfectly. After all this time and effort, I am glad I figured it out.

• islandsnow
    islandsnow Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

This failed on my nitro,  i changed the name to something simple as well.  All it did was make me have to re-activate my laptop which was a pain, typing all those numbers in lol.  But it still didn't install, so i'd advise some not to try this unless you have some really weird computer name.

• Rcmaps
    Rcmaps Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

Hi, did you get your bluetooth to pair with your any of your bluetooth devices after Windows 10 upgrade?

I tried mine many times and it doesn't work.  Seems like ACER/Broadcomm have yet to upgrade drivers for this model (VN7-791G).

I posted this a few days ago - still no solution.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/VN7-791G-bluetooth-devices-not-working-after-Windows-10-upgrade/m-p/375461#U375461

• islandsnow
    Options
    haven't gotten windows 10 to load yet but I changed my network card to Intel's 7260N which has win 10 drivers. I will post if I ever get win 10 loaded.
  • Rcmaps
    Rcmaps Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

You must have a different model.

The network adapter on my VN7-791G is Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4

Thanks for keeping us updated.

• Sitedrifter
    Options

I am not sure what you changed but I don't think it was the "Computer Name" found in System. The Computer name has nothing to do with activation of your product or Windows. My solution worked for the specific error I found in the log. It was not meant for people to arbitrarily change their computer name.

• islandsnow
    Options

Well,  since you had a similar problem as i did,  i thought it was worth the try to do it.   I"m not blaming you for having to reactivate my windows lol.   It's not that hard to do,  since we have OEM windows from ACER anyways, so it accepted it and reactivated.  But it still didn't fix my problem is all i'm saying lol.   Not very hard to change your computer name,  just click on the button to change computer name in system properties window, under system.  

• Sitedrifter
    Options

Post your error log.

• islandsnow
    Options
    thanks, but I was able to get it loaded on Tuesday. it was because I had 2 drives with Windows loaded on it possibly. I read that unhooking any extra drives helped some people, so I unhooked my d: 1tb hard disk, and it loaded no problems this time on my ssd.