TC-105 - Windows 10 upgrade has bricked the PC

Options
slowontheuptake
slowontheuptake Member Posts: 12 New User

Windows 10 install has rendered the pc useless. The pc was fully updated before trying to install from the windows update win 10 update screen.

The upgrade started OK, went through the first clock (circle) of the three to setup then it said it was restarting, next it simply hung with a black screen for over an hour. I restarted it but to no avail, no bios screen, no nothing, one beep and thats it. Reseated the ram, the video card etc etc. tried with the onboard video card alone, still nothing to screen, no signal. Removed cmos battery for half an hour and replaced it also.

Power light on, fans all run, DVD drawer works.

I am totally fuming after taking the correct steps before downloading this update and the machine being compatible.

Any advice what to do with this bricked pc would be much appreciated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

have you tried to boot to BIOS without DVD and HDD connected?

before doing it, please re-do the CMOS reset battery; unplug AC power cable, take off CMOS battery and press power button twice to discharge capacitors, wait 5 minutes , then put back CMOS battery and AC power cable and try to boot to BIOS without HDD and DVD.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • slowontheuptake
    Options

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I have manged with your help to return the bios but that is all. I have had various screens stating "repairing" "please wait" etc but then it stalls. I cannot load anything via the dvd drive either, windows or linux. even when set to boot from DVD drive. Still I think the video signal is not working either on the board graphics or the RADEON hd84 70 card.

There was obviously some driver installed for the card IMO that has sent it into a spin and knocked both cards off for some reason, thats my take on it so far. Not sure why windows 10 install would do this or how I can rectify it.

Thanks again so far.

• IronFly
    Options

if you press ALT+F10 at boot, what happens?

• slowontheuptake
    Options

Pressed alt+F10 and get to the select keyboard, then the following choices, BUT, no matter what I choose the screen then freezes. Tried to get to cmd prompt but when it opens, I cannot enter anything into it. Everything seems to time out just when you think you are getting somewhere :-(

• IronFly
    Options

ok, do you mind trying to boot with only one ram stick at time; if one freeze, try the other.

• slowontheuptake
    Options

Makes not a jot of difference I'm afraid, still the same. Says "disk checking", runs through then stalls. Apart from having the bios visible (which does not seem to be working as it is set for DVD and ignores it), not a lot is different.

Everything still seems to be timing out, no disk movement. Disk check has run through many times then stall once more.

• IronFly
    Options

instead of setting bootable DVD on BIOS, press F12 at boot (if enabled on BIOS) and choose DVD from here.

if it still hangs, i think you have some HDD issues.

• slowontheuptake
    Options

HDD is set to first boot, DVD drive with bootable dvd is second (bootable dvd inside). The hdd is from working machine, one of two others I have been trying that i know are ok. Now it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in device and press any key", it simply repeats when any key is pressed.

So, it is not the HDD but something else that the windows 10 upgrade did somewhere to my pc.

• IronFly
    Options

windows 10 can't do anything to your PC and you can't swap one HDD from a PC to another without issues. Smiley Happy

also recover DVDs often need a clean HDD.

have you tried to press F12 at boot and choose DVD from the bootable list?

• slowontheuptake
    Options

Thanks for the help ironfly but I have decided that there is nothing that can be done with it.

I will start a new thread regarding the case and what I can do with it with an existing, working motherboard.

• slowontheuptake
    Options

After much trial and error my PC said "Secure Boot Violation" or something very similar. While searching the net I came across a forum that said to do the following  for the bios -

1) enable "Launch CSM" in the boot section

2)Disable "secure boot control"

Low and behold, my PC is now firing up a DVD from of the DVD drive.

So, I maintain, that when Windows 10 update was installing on my PC, something on my PC was not to its liking and caused all of my problems. Now, wether that was an installed driver or something to do with my previous bios setings (which had not been altered fromgetting the PC) I know not.

Anyway, suffice to say, my bricked PC is now ALIVE once more.

• IronFly
    Options

Good to hear it.