Switch 10 eligible, but space will be never enough!

fabiensen
fabiensen Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi

I have a Switch 10 32gb, it seems to be an eligible device. However, I don't receive the icon tray notification. 

But, in addition, how could I even think to update it to Windows 10 if this requires 16 gb free disk space? I guess this amount of GB was not even free when I bought it! 

So, how did you manage to update it? 

Thanks

Fabio

Best Answer

• af79
    af79 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I solved with a "radical" solution and i got 18 Gb of free space after installing Win10 and Office.

This is what i done:

1) Back up of all my data (documents, pictures etc)

2) Hard Reset of my Switch 10 (Alt+F10 at startup, complete recovery option). With hard reset you'll have about 17 Gb free after Win 8.1 recovery. This will be enaugh for avoiding the "not enough space" error during Win 10 upgrade.

3) Installation of the only required update to upgrade to Win 10 (KB 3035583)

4) Upgrade to Win 10 by using Windows Media Creation Tool.

5) Check for Windows 10 activation.

6) Make a bootable USB stick using Windows Media Creation Tool.

7) Perform a clean installation of Windows 10 by deleting ALL partitions (also the Win 8.1 recovery). (Power button + volume up to enter BIOS settings and set USB as primary boot device, remember to remove USB stick after first installation reboot, you'll not asked for)

Steps 4 and 5 are mandatory because if you don't activate Win 10 by upgrading from Win 8.1 you will have activation issues (the product key of Win 10 is not the same of Win 8.1).

With this solution you'll lose definitely your software warranty and support (that covers only pre-installed Win 8.1) but the hardware warranty is kept (i had this information by Acer Support Service).

If you want to keep Win 8.1 recovery partition you'll have about 8 Gb less (10 free) after installation of Windows and Office.

After installation i had critical issues (freezes after 3-4 minutes of use), associated to a lot of devices not recognized by Win 10. I contacted Acer Support Service. Their answer is about a publication of new set of drivers in the next days. But i was very angry with my device always stuck, so i found this set of drivers from Lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds040016

This package will solve all the problems with only an exception (front Camera, that is from the same producer but a slight different model). In my opinion this is a great solution to have the device fully usable by waiting the official Acer driver package.

Hope this post will be useful!

Cheers

Answers

• mkabani
    mkabani Member Posts: 6 New User

It is very possible. I am typing this on a Switch 10E with 32 GB drive. I used a external Micro SD card (You can use a USB as well to store the Exra Files for Install). I have more than 9.5 GB free after the install and all the software I have installed.

Good Luck.

• af79

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

I solved with a "radical" solution and i got 18 Gb of free space after installing Win10 and Office.

This is what i done:

1) Back up of all my data (documents, pictures etc)

2) Hard Reset of my Switch 10 (Alt+F10 at startup, complete recovery option). With hard reset you'll have about 17 Gb free after Win 8.1 recovery. This will be enaugh for avoiding the "not enough space" error during Win 10 upgrade.

3) Installation of the only required update to upgrade to Win 10 (KB 3035583)

4) Upgrade to Win 10 by using Windows Media Creation Tool.

5) Check for Windows 10 activation.

6) Make a bootable USB stick using Windows Media Creation Tool.

7) Perform a clean installation of Windows 10 by deleting ALL partitions (also the Win 8.1 recovery). (Power button + volume up to enter BIOS settings and set USB as primary boot device, remember to remove USB stick after first installation reboot, you'll not asked for)

Steps 4 and 5 are mandatory because if you don't activate Win 10 by upgrading from Win 8.1 you will have activation issues (the product key of Win 10 is not the same of Win 8.1).

With this solution you'll lose definitely your software warranty and support (that covers only pre-installed Win 8.1) but the hardware warranty is kept (i had this information by Acer Support Service).

If you want to keep Win 8.1 recovery partition you'll have about 8 Gb less (10 free) after installation of Windows and Office.

After installation i had critical issues (freezes after 3-4 minutes of use), associated to a lot of devices not recognized by Win 10. I contacted Acer Support Service. Their answer is about a publication of new set of drivers in the next days. But i was very angry with my device always stuck, so i found this set of drivers from Lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds040016

This package will solve all the problems with only an exception (front Camera, that is from the same producer but a slight different model). In my opinion this is a great solution to have the device fully usable by waiting the official Acer driver package.

Hope this post will be useful!

Cheers

• fabiensen

Great! Thank you for having taken the time to describe all in detail the whole procedure! 

It works, just like you wrote. Took me ages but I did it Smiley Happy

Thank you very much!!!

Fabio

• ManilaBeans
    ManilaBeans Member Posts: 9 New User

I have a couple of questions:

1> How did you delete the Recovery partitions? Disk Management won't allow me. I now have 2 partitions marked Recovery. One 450MB (created by Windows 10 during Insider Preview), and one 6GB (the original RECOVERY partition)

2> How do you boot through USB? Do you use the USB port on the keyboard? Or the mini USB?

Thanks!

• af79

Tinkerer

Hi ManilaBeans,
    I made a bootable USB by using Windows Media Creation Tool (secondo option in ma in menu) then i booted my switch 10 by using the USB porta on the keyboard.
    During the windows setup you have to chiose the "custom" installation option in order to manage correctly the disk partitions!
  • AndyK1
    AndyK1 Member Posts: 6 New User

I just did an update on a Switch 10 SW5-011 with no problems whatsoever and the recovery partitions got removed as part of the process.

I have a 64GB machine which had 15GB free space and after the install it now has 32GB free, all my installed apps still work fine.

You will need to clean the disk after the install to clear out all the temporary files including the old OS back up.

Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type cleanmgr, and click/tap on OK to open Disk Cleanup.

I'm not sure if this is the part that removed the old partitions or not, but if you run disk management tool, the partitions are definitly gone.

Also, the display driver reverts to a MS basic driver which is very slow and clunky, I fixed this by installing the Intel drivers from their website

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24592/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-32-bit

It says 8.1 but it works fine on 10.

Andy

• ManilaBeans

So I finally decided to clean install Windows 10 on my Switch 10 today, after finally having resolved an activation issue on my Vaio.

Before the clean isntall, Windows 10 was already activated on this Switch 10. I took note of the key using the Magic Jelly Bean tool, then dowloaded Windows 10 Pro (settings indicated that Windows 10 Pro was activated on this Switch 10)

I clean installed, and everything went smoothly. I was asked for a product key during the install and it took the product key I typed in (the one I took note of using the Magic Jelly Bean tool) and so I thought everything was fine. However, after the install, I can't activate! Smiley Sad

So a couple of questions:

1> Is this supposed to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? If not, why was I previously activated on a Windows 10 Pro license? (This license sticker that came in the box says it's Windows 8.1 Small Screen Touch with Office Home and Student 2013).

2> If all attempts to activate this fails, what would be my options? I wiped out all recovery partitions during the upgrade by the way, and I currently have 28GB space with 20GB free. I suppose I could reinstall Windows 8.1, activate it using the product key that came in the box, then upgrade to Windows 10 from there. But what version of Windows 8.1 do I install, and where the heck could I get an installer (especially if I would have to install WIndows 8.2 SST as the sticker suggests).

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• AndyK1
    AndyK1 Member Posts: 6 New User

Did you not make a recovery drive on a USB stick ?

• af79

Tinkerer

ManilaBeans,

unless you bought a Windows 10 Pro license separately, you have to install Windows 10 Home, that's the only W10 version covered by free license. The product is activated when you upgrade from Windows 8.1. Later, you can perform a clean installation. Important: during the clean installation you don't have to type any product key; simply click on "ignore" buttons. Once installed, and connected to Internet, the activation will be automatically done. This is not a trick, this is the regular procedure.

• nbeegee
    nbeegee Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you. your approach of using micro sd was simples straightforward.

• ManilaBeans

@AndyK1, unfortunately, that was part of the problem why I wanted to do a clean install on the Switch 10. It won't allow me to make a recovery disk. It says it encountered a problem but does not specify what sort of problem. I look at disk management and found out there were now two RECOVERY drives. One was the original 6.XGB that was there originally when I bought the device, and another 450MB that I got somewhere along the way (most likely during the Insider Preview).

• ManilaBeans

This Switch 10 was orginally on the Insider Preview since day 1 and hence had the RTM build way before July 29. When the official build was released, Settings page showed that the copy was activated on a WINDOWS 10 PRO license. I removed it from the Insider Program to see if the license would be converted to HOME, but it stayed at PRO and remained activated.

And that was where it was at when I decided to do the clean install the other day. I even save a screenshot of the Magic Jelly bean results showing the key and the edition (PRO) before I proceeed with the clean install.

I suppose at this point, even reinstalling a Home Edition Windows 10 would not work? Take note I reformatted the drive and wiped the recovery partitions.

I wanted to try reinstalling Windows 8.1 and work up from there but I can't seem to find a copy of the appropriate edition. I got an AIO installed downloaded but the product key that came in the box with my Switch 10 does not work with it so I am guessing I have to get hold of a Windows 8.1 SST installer?

Can you please give me any other options I could try?  Thanks!

• af79

Tinkerer

I think you must re-install Windows 8.1 Home 32 bit (there's only one version, downloadable from Microsoft). Once installed, the activation should be automatic, because your Switch 10 will be recognized (i think they use the MAC address) and associated to the correct product key, without typing any key.
    Once installed Win 8.1, you have to upgrade to Win 10 (Home, your experience as insider is not valid to obtain a PRO license, in commercial terms you're owner of a Switch 10 with Windows 8.1 Home, and able to obtain a W10 Home license, unless you bought a PRO license).
    Once you upgraded to Win 10 your Switch will be associated to Microsoft Win 10 licenses database and your license will be activated automatically every time you install Win 10, so you van proceed immediately to a clean installation.
  • ManilaBeans

Yeah, I figured I would have to revert back to 8.1 Smiley Sad

The problem is, I looked everywhere online and I can't seem to find any copy for download either from Microsoft, or elsewhere. You don't happen to have a link do you?

• ManilaBeans

So this is where I am at:

I can't find any 32 bit Windows 8.1 installer ANYWHERE. An acquaintance who has access to an untouched installer won't be back in the country (I'm in the Philippines) until Aug 18.

So between now and Aug 18, I could either just let my Switch 10 sit around unfixed, or head over to an Acer service center.

Does anybody have an idea if they could restore this to factory state even if I've already wiped the Recovery drive? Or how much service fee they'll charge for it (if at all)?

• af79

Tinkerer

You van instal Windows 8.1 by using dedicated Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. Here's the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

The proces is the dame of windows 10.
  • ManilaBeans

Oh wow, you're a lifesaver mate!

Where are you at? I'm sending you a six pack! Haha

• af79

Tinkerer

Glad to help you! By the way, i'm from Italy Smiley Wink
  • fabiensen

Yes, me too, the guy who originally posted the question, from Italy Smiley Wink

• PaulB777
    PaulB777 Member Posts: 7 New User

Thank God for Italians! Hi Guys. I have hope stirring in me that perhaps I didn't waste a lot of money on aSW5 013  32 gig unit with Office and only 4 gigs left on the hard drive before I've even finished installing Acer Apps. So you guys have found the way around the space problem?!. I have a 64 gb usb with the E recovery thing now on it and a 128 gb ssd card. And I'm not the sharpest computer pencil in the box. I hope I can stagger through the process and have a working tablet at the end. I kinda like the little sucker if I can overcome this ridiculous space issue that I frankly can hardly believe I would have to deal with. As is the unit is idiotic. Yeah Italy!! I' m in Toronto Canada by the way. Thanks amigos.