Something fishy with windows ten

SD2211
SD2211 Member Posts: 2 New User

I've got a jalopy of a computer I guess, I have an AcerM370G that I just recently updated to Windows 10. And the only problem it's giving me is that the Windows Media Player will only play CDs and not DVDs. I talked to a lady at Microsoft and she said that it should play DVDs (as well as that Windows DVD player) but the WMP just plays CDs.

Thanks a lot Microsoft for messing up what I thought was a smart move. It's a personal computer and I don't have the money to pay for a $34.00 codec. Why can't change be good?

And what else is weird? The Windows DVD Player won't  play DVRs. I DVR'ed this show from one of my favorite rock groups and it acts like there's nothing in the drive. Movies like Avengers or my Rock Hall of Fame 25th anniversary I got from Time-Life work fine but I can't watch a Green Day concert I dvr'ed in 2008.

I talked to a guy on the phone who said he was going to help me figure out the errors and then he started talking about how he was gonna charge me. I'm broke!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yup, Microsoft decided not to pay the royalties needed to support video playback from DVDs, saying there are plenety of third party products that provide that functionality. Smiley Sad

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just a suggestion but I use the open source VLC for Video and the MS Media Player for audio (do not care for Groove).

Note: the VLC for Windows in the store seems a little brane-ded. I use the full package from the web site.

• SD2211
    SD2211 Member Posts: 2 New User

Will VRC regonize DVDs like Windows Media does?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I don't know how Windows Media does. I put a movie DVD in the player and it plays. And it is FOSS.