Says graphics driver is out of date.

malicesu
malicesu Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer Aspire One D270-1492 that I bought off someone, it came upgraded with Windows 10 and runs pretty good for being an older netbook.

However it says my graphics driver is out of date, but when I go to get the driver downloads from the Acer website, the only ones available are for Windows 7, which is the OS that this netbook originally had. And I can no longer downgrade back to Windows 7 so I'm kind of stuck.

How do I update my graphics driver without having to go through some third party website that makes me pay a ridiculous amount of money that is probably just a huge scam?

EDIT: I have gone through the device manager and scanned for updates and such, as what Microsoft's website says. It tells me that Windows detects they're up to date but the program I'm trying to run still says they need to be updated.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Probably there is no more updates for your VGA, so you can't run that program.

by the way, you can try to check about new drivers, using the Intel software:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • malicesu
    malicesu Member Posts: 2 New User

Didn't work :c

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

"but the program I'm trying to run "

What program is that ? Sounds like a third party program. Have seen some that are poorly coded that will give that error with a newer driver.

• kenz101
    kenz101 Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon

Hi

Stick with the driver you have as it should be correct! if you change the driver from the one supplied from acer for the laptop you have you will end up with bad results! always stick with the manufactures drivers for your machine only dont even allow third party or windows to install drivers for your device unless acer reports you to do so. if you check out the acer support site where you find your drivers there might be an option for windows 10 drivers for your michine. If not stick with the ones for windows 7 as acer would have checked this out for your machine by now and have had an update there for you.

Hope this helps.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.      :) 
  • sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

kenz101 wrote:

Hi

Stick with the driver you have as it should be correct! if you change the driver from the one supplied from acer for the laptop you have you will end up with bad results! always stick with the manufactures drivers for your machine only dont even allow third party or windows to install drivers for your device unless acer reports you to do so. if you check out the acer support site where you find your drivers there might be an option for windows 10 drivers for your michine. If not stick with the ones for windows 7 as acer would have checked this out for your machine by now and have had an update there for you.

Hope this helps.

Please, make sure you are informed before suggesting something like this.

In some cases like management engine and chipset drivers it can be the case what you say. This is the reason why intel does not supply anymore generic drivers.

But with graphics driver you are very wrong. If acer does not support/update their drivers, you can install the drivers from intel/nvidia/amd. They tested those drivers, and there are very rare cases when they released a driver which caused BSOD or crashes.

It's just stupid what you are sugesting.

Many drivers from acer are outdated and they are even cases when they are buggy as hell. In that case what to do? Listen to your suggestion and stick with the buggy driver? Or update from intel and have a working driver without bugs?

Don't believe? well read the forums.

Here is an example:

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Intel-HD-driver-crash/m-p/424684#M9156

At least one complain like this happens each week in the V VN section of the forum.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

If it is a particular program, try running in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode. Personally I do not trust error messages on PCs very far, often it is something else entirely.