Restart problems with Acer E5-511-P8C8 laptop

GreyBat
GreyBat Member Posts: 2 New User

(Please note: This issue below has been posted by me on the Windows 10 Insider Preview site since May. It remains a problem as of the latest build 10240. I did not post previously on this forum since I knew Win10TP was beta software. and Acer would probably not be supporting it yet.But now we are close to release, so I thought it was time to see if anyone else experiences the same thing.......)

I have been struggling with this problem since I acquired my laptop last January. I have been testing Win10TP, and am now on the latest build (10240), but the problem persists. The problem does NOT occur with Windows 8.1.

My computer (Acer E15 (or, more accurately, E5-511-P8C8)) hangs on restart after awaking from sleep, hibernation or even after normal shutt down (from inside Windows) and powering on again. (In this latter case, the next and all subsequent restarts will hang.) Once the restart has failed, I have to manually power off, then power on again to start the machine again. This allows the machine to work normally, until the next restart. 

I should also mention that the restart hangs very early in the reboot process. Even if I am attempting to reboot from a different device (USB stick or DVD), the restart will hang. 

I have, however, stumbled upon a workaround that corrects the problem and allows subsequent restarts to work normally..... until the next sleep, etc.

Workaround steps:

1 Start: Following normal power on, all seems fine, but next restart hangs (usually very early, before Acer screen appears)
2 After power off and on, start msconfig (Windows Key + r, enter "msconfig" in dialog, then Enter). Set "diagnostic start" and restart. This restart also fails a bit later - after Acer screen appears and rolling dots start but quickly stop. (Sometimes the restart hangs before the Acer screen. or the dots appear.)
3. Power off and on again. (You may see an error message. This is due to the disabled services.) Run msconfig again.  Check the Services tab. If all (or most) services disabled, enable all and restart. Restart is successful.
4. Restarts continue to be successful until system is shut down or sleeps. Next restart after this will fail. Then go back to step 1.
5. If system enters sleep mode (or suspend or hibernate or is shut down), after the system recovers itself, restarts will fail thereafter and steps 2,3,4 have to be repeated.

Once the above steps are complete, I suggest disabling sleep and hibernation. Instead, you can set the screen to turn off after a period of time, and do the same for the hard drive (from the Advanced Settings of the old Control Panel Power settings screen). I have also disabled Fast Restart (in power options under "Choose what the power buttons do").

I have only tried this on the laptop connected to A/C power (since, with sleep etc. disabled, the machine would run out of power). 

If anyone else is experiencing the same issue, I would sure like to hear about it, and also whether my workaround works for them! 

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I have a few questions.

1.  What BIOS version do you currently have installed on your Acer E5-511-P8C8 computer?

2.  What BIOS version does Acer downloads designate as the latest version for your computer? 

3.  When you installed Windows10TP, where did you get your drivers?  Windows update? Directly from the component manufacturer? Or from Acer driver downloads?

4.  Do you plan to re-install Windows 8.1 so you can get the "regular" consumer version of Windows 10 that will be released on July 29? 

5. If you plan to get the regular version of Windows10, will you re-install Windows8.1, get the regular consumer version of Windows 10, and then go back to Windows 10 Insider releases?

6. Have you ever used the "GET WINDOWS 10" icon, to see what the results were of the system scan for compatibility while using Windows 8.1?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Welcome-to-the-Windows-10-forum-Start-here-first/m-p/366899#U366899

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

I have a few questions.

1.  What BIOS version do you currently have installed on your Acer E5-511-P8C8 computer?

2.  What BIOS version does Acer downloads designate as the latest version for your computer? 

3.  When you installed Windows10TP, where did you get your drivers?  Windows update? Directly from the component manufacturer? Or from Acer driver downloads?

4.  Do you plan to re-install Windows 8.1 so you can get the "regular" consumer version of Windows 10 that will be released on July 29? 

5. If you plan to get the regular version of Windows10, will you re-install Windows8.1, get the regular consumer version of Windows 10, and then go back to Windows 10 Insider releases?

6. Have you ever used the "GET WINDOWS 10" icon, to see what the results were of the system scan for compatibility while using Windows 8.1?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Welcome-to-the-Windows-10-forum-Start-here-first/m-p/366899#U366899

• GreyBat
    GreyBat Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the prompt response, Jordan. You appear to have shown me the light!

1. I was running V1.02 (4/14/2014)

2. Acer downloads has updates from 1.03 to 1.08. Since you mentioned this, I have flashed the latest version (1.08), and, after the restart, put the computer to sleep, then restarted again, and also shut it down, powered up again, and again restarted. IT WORKED! I clearly should have tried this a while ago - or at least posted my problem here sooner! I think the reason I didn't was, again, that I didn't think I would get much help while Win10 was still in beta mode. I should have had more faith!!! (I also didn't really believe it was BIOS related, mainly because of how my workaround seemed to suggest a problem related to services.)

Continuing to answer your other questions in case they are useful for other reasons........

3. I have used Win10TP defaults except where there were none. In those cases, I used the latest available (8.1 - 64-bit drivers) from the Acer downloads. For the most part, I cannot remember which drivers I installed from the Acer site, except the TXE driver is from the Acer site, version1.1.0.1064. A couple of other System Devices came from the Acer site,as well, I think, as the trackpad driver (although I don't use the trackpad - hate them!).

4. I was planning to continue testing within the Insider Preview program for the time being. I might re-install 8.1, but probably not until I am confident the released version of 10 is reliable.

5. Possibly! See answer to 4.

6. Not on this computer.

Once again, thanks for getting back to me, and giving me the answer!, I hope, if anyone else experiences the same issues, they find this posting for a solution.

Graham

• JordanB

Glad you got it fixed.  Yes, the questions were hints.  Smiley Wink

And hopefully your problem/resolution will help prepare Acer's customer support for your laptop model.....for the upcoming Windows 10 release next week.

• NascarFanSS
    NascarFanSS Member Posts: 1 New User

This worked for me also, thank you very much!