Questions on upgrading Aspire Switch 10 to Windows 10

Options
ManilaBeans
ManilaBeans Member Posts: 9 New User

Hi,

I have my Switch 10 on the Windows Insider program but I am now thinking of performing a clean install on it. I need advise on how to go about this. My caution stems from the way the Switch 10 is set up. If I understood correctly, it cam preinstalled with a compressed Windows 8.1 OS and in effect had to set aside a chunk of the 32GB storage. Will doing a clean install of Windows 10 take this into account? Will Windows know that this is to be set up as a compressed installation?

Alternatively, should I just look at possibly recovering the reserved portions of the hard drive and just install Windows 10 as a non-compressed install? Will going this route cause issues as far as authenticating/activating my OS?

Thanks for anybody who could shed some light regarding this, or any other related issues that I might not have thought of.

Answers

• ManilaBeans
    ManilaBeans Member Posts: 9 New User
    Options

Nobody has a clue? Smiley Sad

Anyway, since the time I posted this question, I have found out that Windows 10 utilizes technology that would no longer require its use of WIMboot, but still remain small enought to leave enough space free on 32GB devices.

However, it looks like somewhere along the way Windows 10 has created a new 450MB sized partition for recovery. This on top of the 6GB recovery partition that was originally created for Windows 8.1. To add to this, I can't managed these two recovery partitions from Disk Management utility. And for some reason I can't seem to create a Recovery Drive now.

So that's the update. I'd really love to get rid of the 6GB recovery partition (that's a lot of wasted space on a 32GB device!) as painless and risk free as possible.

I sure hope somebody could offer some ideas...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

The base install wasn't compressed. The 450MB partition is the standard empty recovery partition that Windows requires, the larger one is left over from the stock install.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.