Plugging in power cord turns off screen in Windows 10

NVSteve
NVSteve Member Posts: 21 Networker

I have an Acer Aspire E15 laptop, I've been using it with Windows 8.1 until I did a clean install of Windows 10 recently. Normally, when I get the warning notice that I have 10% power left, I plug in the power cord and continue work.  But now when I plug the cord in, it turns off the screen (goes black). I still get audio but no video. If I unplug the cord, the screen comes back. What's going on? I've never had this issue with Win 8.1 or any other OS version before. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Check your power saving settings (Search for Power Options, then change the plan settings) and make sure the 'turn screen off' option isn't set somwhere weird when running on AC. Also make sure the brightness isn't set to zero.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NVSteve

Thanks for reply. I already tried that. 

Brightness set for 100%. Works fine when plugged in normally.

The problem only occurs if I plug in after getting the 10% Battery warning, then screen goes black.

I now have to turn off computer & wait for it to recharge since I have no picture.

This never happened before with Win 8.1.

Also, I tried updating video driver but that didn't change anything.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Unfortunately there are many E15 notebooks out there (many models).

You should go to http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers and input your model and check if there are some drivers for intel management engine, or if there is any BIOS update available for your notebook. If yes try to update these.

• NVSteve

fyi, under Troubleshooting devices for the computer, I get this message:

driver for pci encryptiong/decryption controller not installed

but it says no driver is available.

Also, today my computer locked up while writing a long Notepad doc for no apparent reason. Had to remove battery to reset and lost all my work. All these problems happened after installing Win 10. 

• NVSteve

ok thanks, i'll try. my model is

aspire E15 E5-511-P0GC

• NVSteve

Screenshot attached of drivers Acer site shows available. Which ones should I download? 

Thanks.

AcerDrivers.jpg

• NVSteve

In Windows 10 Device Manager, I tried to update Intel Management Engine driver, it said I already had best one installed.  How do I find out what driver version I already have of Intel Chipset or BIOS?

• billsey

I would start with the Intel VGA driver, since IIRC your model uses the HD graphics. Next is the chipset drivers.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NVSteve

fyi, I ran Update in Acer Care Center and it keeps saying my system is up to date, so do I really need any of those drivers? 

I did update Bios, now when I get to 10% power I get NO warning notice, the screen just goes blank whether I plug in or not.

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

Please try to install the VGA from intel and the intel chipset drivers. I don't know it it would help. But you can give a try. I don't see any intel management engine drivers, but I am somehow sure that you have management engine on that notebook.

• billsey

NVSteve wrote:

fyi, I ran Update in Acer Care Center and it keeps saying my system is up to date, so do I really need any of those drivers? 

If the driver is the correct one, but corrupted that's what I would expect to see, since it's only checking for a version number. I'd retry the install and hope it cleans the corruption up.

• NVSteve

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Some good news (for now). I reset the Power Profile to default then reset the timeout settings, plus Windows Update installed a Win 10 Cumulative Update, and after a couple of reboots, it appears to be acting normally again. Once again I get the power warning at 10% and plugging in doesn't turn off screen. Fingers crossed, hopefully it will be ok now.