Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H needs drivers for Aspire 7551, Lost them due to upgrade to Windows 10

KenOwsley62
KenOwsley62 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Help I need drivers

Best Answer

• Conner61
    Conner61 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Answer ✓

Hello. Sorry I didn't mean to imply you didn't understand the steps necessary; I misinterpreted your question.

The AMD chipset drivers can be found here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=W​indows%2010%20-%2064

You have to download the file from the AMD website and extract the files contained therein. Hope this will be helpful and that the drivers will solve your problem.

Answers

• sabourinj20
    sabourinj20 Member Posts: 1 New User

Yeah, same problem here with the identical model machine and optical drive. Typically Windows handles the driver itself, there is not a special one to install. My assumption is some compatibility issue with the firmware of the optical drive. Hoping to see an update, though this model is not in the list of models Acer is providing support for Windows 10.

• Conner61

Same problem here with the same equipment. Device Manager shows it under "Other Devices" and claims it is working properly, but it doesn't. Hopefully Acer will come to our rescue. I've tried multiple solutions I read about online but nothing has worked so far.

• KenOwsley62

Tinkerer

It seems like we're stuck because Sony doesn't have our dvd rw on their list and Acer is handling this issue as an out of warranty issue we might have to go back to Windows 8.1or Windows 7.

• Conner61

Personally, I don't want to backtrack to Windows 7 Pro. I'll find some other solution even if it's as drastic as replacing the DVD RW. One note of interest - I checked the hardware compatibility list at Microsoft.com and found that this model  DVD RW branded by Dell is listed as compatible. Don't know if there is any way to get a copy of Dell's drivers for this device, but it would appear that it would work with their drivers.

• KenOwsley62

Tinkerer

Do you have the model number of the DVD drive ?
  • Conner61
    Yeah, it's the Optiarc AD-7585H made by but not supported by Sony.
  • KenOwsley62

Tinkerer

I meant the Dell DVD drive , Do you have the model number that's compatible to Windows 10
  • KenOwsley62

Tinkerer

I think it needs to fit our bezel as well
  • Conner61
    That is the model number. Apparently it's the same drive. That's how its listed on the MS compatibility list. "Sony Dell Optiarc AD-7585". Makes you wonder why that one works but ours d doesn't! I've tried all sorts of fixes I read about in the Net b but nothing seems to work. My last ditch effort is going to be opening up the laptop and disconnecting, reconnecting the drive after a reboot but I don't hold a lot oh of course for that working either.
  • KenOwsley62

Tinkerer

Nope I tried that too even with another drive branded with HP , It could be the motherboard.
  • Conner61

Yeah, you might be right about the motherboard. But everything else works as well or better than it did with Windows 7 Pro, so it really strikes me as odd that this dvd burner isn't recognized. Actually on my computer, it does show up in device manager, but under "Other Devices" with a little question mark beside it; also it says that this device is working properly, although obviously it doesn''t. I am considering getting an external drive, if I can find somewhere that will allow me to plug it in to see if it is recognized or that will allow me to return it if it isn't.

• Gilles6
    Gilles6 Member Posts: 2 New User

The AMD chipset drivers could be find with the following link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

In the Device Manager right-click the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA-controller" > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software

In the "Search for driver software in this location" type the path or "Browse" to the location of the unzipped driver folder

Make sure "Include subfolders" is "checked"

Then click "Next".

Restart your computer =>then your DVD R/W device should work again

• Conner61

I just followed your instructions, and my DVD is once again recognized and functional!! I can't thank you enough for the information - I can't tell you how much time I have spent trying to resolve this problem since upgrading to Windows 10. It was so frustrating since everything else worked as it should after the upgrade, and I am really getting used to the new interface and features (except Edge which I have discarded in favor of the new version of Internet Explorer). Anyway thanks again for the solution to my problem!

• kri1982
    kri1982 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Good morning, I have the same problem. I have Windows 10 x64.

I did not understand if you need to install drivers "amd-catalyst-15.7.1-sb-sata-ahci-win10-win8.1-win7" ... because on my computer will not let me install. I have this message "can not run this app on your pc" when I run the driver files.
  • Conner61

Refer back to the post regarding the AMD drivers. You don't need to install an application, just unzip the files to a folder you can find easily. Then open Device Manager, find the entry for the SATA controller, right-click on this entry and select update driver. Use the option to search for drivers on your computer and point the search to the directory you unzipped the AMD drivers in. This should instal the updated driver, which will allow Windows to recognize your DVD drive. Hope this quick explanation helps, but for a more thorough explanation reefer back to the post regarding the AMD SATA controller drivers.

• kri1982

Thank you, I understand very well the steps I need to do.

What I find is the .zip file?

I have not in my computer folder "C: \ AMD \ AMD-Catalyst-15.7.1-SB-SATA-AHCI-Win10-Win8.1-Win7".

• Conner61
    Answer ✓

Hello. Sorry I didn't mean to imply you didn't understand the steps necessary; I misinterpreted your question.

The AMD chipset drivers can be found here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=W​indows%2010%20-%2064

You have to download the file from the AMD website and extract the files contained therein. Hope this will be helpful and that the drivers will solve your problem.

• kri1982

Thank you very much to all.Now I solved and everything works fine!

• KenOwsley62

Tinkerer

Kudos to everyone that participated in my question Windows 10 is now installed and so is my Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H Thanks Smiley Happy