Need a sticky.

Options

We need a sticky that says in no uncertain terms that if the user upgrades to Win 10 and does not create a recovery drive AND take a full system image, then the only way to recover may be to buy the recovery media from the Acer store.

I am very tired of people ungrading with out any backup, not liking it, trying to uninstall, and destroying all recovery files in the process.

To be honest Microsoft makes it difficult for someone to NOT upgrade especially if updates are automagic, but still. 

Answers

• Pkitty
    Pkitty Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

I agree with you 100%.  But I forgot and immediately upgraded from 8 to 10 without a backup. My little Acer Aspire Switch 10E SW3-013 survived that stupid mistake.

On the other hand, I am not impressed by Windows 8/10 image creation. My early attempts failed because I assumed it had crashed - the progress bar stayed stubbornly stuck on 'almost' finished for a very long time. You need supreme patience to allow it to complete as it took about 2 hours.  Now that may be because I was writing to my network drive over Wi-Fi. (see note below). Windows 10 requires a USB stick larger than 4GB for its rescue media.

I have since discovered that Macrium Reflect Free creates an image file in much less time - and the rescue media with WindowsPE and Macrium Reflect totals only 187mb, which can be stored on an old USB stick. I even had enough room to store a system image file on the 16GB Macrium rescue stick I created!  Just a note - the Acer has only one USB port so if you are using an external USB disk drive, you have to boot from the rescue stick which automatically starts WinPE and Macrium Reflect, then unplug the stick (software runs without it), and plug in the external USB drive (with your system image files) so you can explore or restore from an image file.

Note: You cannot use Windows 8/10 or a Macrium rescue USB stick to restore via Wi-Fi - WinPE/Macrium does not support Wi-Fi; couldn't find any Win10 documentation about it.  I have not tested from an ethernet connection to a network drive. (Acronis True Image 2010 on a Win7 system created/restored images via ethernet without problem.)  I was sad to discover that neither Win10 nor Macrium can restore from an SD card, which I added for extra storage since my system drive ia only 32GB.  The most practical way to restore image files from both your Windows system and rescrue stick is storing them on an external USB drive. You use the bootable USB rescue stick you created to find a system image file and restore your system from it when your system is toast and will not boot or run.  And did I mention that you have to "read the manual" to boot into your BIOS settings (F2 on my pc) and change the boot order so your USB stick boots first, ahead of your system drive. On my little pc, it was called USB HDD and was listed last!

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I just use a terabyte USB 3.0 external drive. That way it is really offline when not needed. Have a bout a dzzen different images on there.

Needed most recently when building a tower with a lot of apps and office from Win 7 to 10 using a Windows 8 PRO license (7 wasn't PRO). In the middle of the 8>8.1 upgrade the main power transformer blew at 4 am and the UPS ran out before it was noticed. Power came back at 11am. Was only the second time that had happened n 30 years.

Started all over again from the full image and now running 10 nicely.

Note: if you use the image method to go from a 120GB disk having two partitions to a 250GB disk you will wind up with two 60GB partitions and while you can expand the second, you cannot expand the first (have to be continuous).

Better to take the system image of the first partion only and backup the second with a different method. That way you can restore the first, expand that partition, then the second, and expand that to fill the disk.

• Pkitty
    Pkitty Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

I guess you missed the detail "my system drive ia only 32GB".  The Acer Aspire Switch 10E Notebook SW3-013 has a small SSD drive and image files so far are about 10gb  - the problem is finding a device to put them on that can be restored from a rescue stick. When your system is toast is not the time to find out that you cannot access the image on your SD card or network drive. Big oopsie.

In hindsight should have bought a large USB stick and smaller card.  Also in "Storage" settings, I put future apps on the SD card drive, but had not considered that a system image might include those folders. I can find no information on the subject. <sigh>

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I have three 32GB tabs including a W3 and a W510 so know what you mean. All have at least a 64GB microSDcard where I put music and all data files including service manuals (.pdf) for my cars.

An SD card was used for the extra 9 GB needed for upgrade but the recovery drive (16GB flash) and the system image cannot be on the same device because the recovery drive is formatted FAT32 and the System Image (a) will not load on a removable drive and (b) requires NTFS (I use a 2.5" USB 3.0 terabyte drive for images, have about a dozen on it now).

Now since I have external bootable recovery media that space can be recovered, hiberfil.sys is removed and pagefil.sys is limited to a gig and a half.

So my W3 with Win 10 and Office and a number of toys has about 10GB free (after cleanup) on the C: drive.