M5-581TG - SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ETD.sys

Options
jsmith
jsmith Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

I have a M5-581TG. I started it while holding down Alt-F10 and did a restoration to factory installation. Right after that, I upgraded to Windows 10 using a Windows 10 ISO DVD. So far so good. I was able to log in. I then did a windows update. That was where the problem began.

After update, I restarted the laptop and was faced with the blue screen of death with the following message:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (ETD.SYS)

I tried booting into safe mode, I tried using BCDEDIT to ignore all failures, I tried editing registry. Nothing worked.

I thought I might have done somethingwrong. I then boot to the recovery partition and did a factory installation, ran the Windows 10 DVD, did the update, and the same blue screen appeared again.

What can I do now?

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

ETD.SYS is a touchpad driver file.

before doing windows update, please disable drivers updates from windows update.

http://windowsinstructed.com/disable-automatic-device-driver-download-in-windows-10/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jsmith
    jsmith Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Thank you for the reply.

It seems to work. I say "seems" because after I went through the process you said, Windows 10 did not download the touchpad driver. Thus, I have no more problems. However, it still downloaded video card driver while, if I understand correctly, it should not download any drivers.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, you understand perfectly but....some users have the same issue, Intel or video drivers keep download and automatically install.

i think it's a windows 10 but, still waiting for a fix, since even hiding the update doesn't solve it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mackpt1
    mackpt1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Here is how to fix KMODE Exception not handled Error in Windows 10

1 – Press windows key + I together to open settings panel.

2 – Now, click on system.

3 – Now, click on Power & Sleep from the left menu and click on additional power settings from the right.

4 -Now, click on choose what the power buttons do.

5 – Now, click on change settings that are currently unavailable.

6 – Now, uncheck the option saying turn on fast startup.

7 – Finally press ok.

Source:- https://merabheja.com/fix-kmode-exception-not-handled-error-windows-10/

• robinwaqas
    robinwaqas Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Mostly this problem occures in the system Laptops with the touchpad drivers or some missing updates. Here you can find the solution with this problem a step by step simple guide to resolve the issue Click Here ETD.SYS