Installed latest Windows 10 update for Aspire S7-392-6402 and now my laptop won't start up

Options
Sullon
Sullon Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi everyone,

So like the title says, my laptop isn't starting up... All I see a black screen and the "on" light, so I don't see things like a cursor, logo, etc. I read that Windows 10 update can cause a reboot loop and result in the black screen. I've tried to enter safe mode (pressing Shift for Windows 10, I believe), but I couldn't enter it. I even went to the Microsoft store and the person that helped me was not able to turn it on as well. He tried to connect to an external monitor through HDMI and there didn't seem to be any signal from my device. He suggested that I pull out the battery, but if that doesn't work, then it might be a hardware problem. 

The black screen have shown up before for some previous Windows 10 updates, but I was able to resolve it (turning it off and on again). This time, it seemed to be permanent... Hopefully not.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? What would you guys recommend (aside from pulling out the battery)?

Thanks!

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Is this before or after the login screen ?

• Sullon
    Options

This is before the login screen. Actually, it's even before the Acer logo.

I tried to pull the battery out, but that didn't work.

• padgett
    Options

Have you tried the battery reset pinhole ? See page 14 in the S7 User's Manual.

• Sullon
    Options

Yep, tried that already.

I ended up taking it to Memory Express to get it looked at. The technician told me the motherboard was fried. Words cannot express how disappointed I am right now. 

Thanks for trying padgett!

• padgett
    Options

Any idea what fried it ? Is not a normal occurance.

• Sullon
    Options

I think what happened was the update encountered a problem, but it tried to overcome it. Unfortunately, it stayed in this cycle indefinitely, overheated the motherboard, and ended up toasting it. That's my best guess anyway and if you do a quick Google search, I am not alone.

• padgett
    Options

Wonder if related to the fact that I often need to reinstall the thremal management software after an upgrade but would expect it to default to the lowest setting.