Installed Windows 10 on Aspire 5551P: Broadcom 802.11 network adapter not working.

ShazeM
ShazeM Member Posts: 8 New User

Tried rolling back to older version (solution suggested in Windows 10 forum) with no luck.  Uninstalled the adapter, downloaded a Broadcom adapter to USB from Acer site that was supposedly Windows 10 compatible, extracted files to laptop and tried to run setup.exe.  Install wizard just tried to reinstall the original Broadcom 802.11 adapter - which failed. Any brilliant ideas?  Thanks in advance...

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

What was the failure error number or description ?

• ShazeM

Thanks padgett.  

There's a bunch of stuff and I have almost zero ability to recognise important from junk, so here goes and thanks for your patience....
    The message I get (having uninstalled Broadcom 802.11) is 'there might be a problem with the driver for the Ethernet adapter, Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter'

From there, when I try to install the Broadcom 5.60.350.6_Win7x86x64, the InstallShield wizard fires up and tells me it will install Broadcom 802.11 (the adapter that stopped working and that I uninstalled. Twice. And deleted.).

Hitting 'Next' -> tells me it's installing my new software

Restart -> still no connection, info I see:
    - 'Set up wired network adapter' completed - Set up the network adapter to communicate with this network.  This ensures that both Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and IP Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) can be used on the network adapter. There's a network diagnostics Log link that I cannot access.

- same message as before re Ethernet adapter, plus 'there might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi 2 adapter'.

Details: Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter

Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter), details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network Adapter Ethernet driver information

Description: Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet

Manufacturer, Provider: Broadcom

Version: 15.6.0.14

Inf file name: C:\WINDOWS\ING\oem17.inf

Inf File Date: Tuesday April 22 2014 6:12:04 AM

Section Name: DEV_KEY@.NTamd64.6.1

Hardware ID: pci\ven_14&dev_1692

Instance Status Flags: 0x180200a

Device Manager Status Code: 0

IfType: 6

Physical Media Type: 14

Network Adapter Wi-Fi 2 driver information:

Description: Broadcom 802.11 Newtork Adapter

Manufacturer, Provider: Broadcom

Version: 5.60.350.6

Inf File Name: C:WINDOWS\INF\oem0.inf

Inf File Date: Friday July 29 2016 3:01:19 AM (note from me - this is the date the laptop has reset to)

Section Name: BCM43XNG_NT61

Hardware ID: pci\ven_14

Instance status flags: 0x180200a

Device Manager Status Code: 0

IfType: 71

Physical Media Type: 9

OK, back to tearing my hair out now.  Thanks for any suggestions you might have

S

• padgett

OK you uninstalled and deleted the driver. Rebooted. After a while it should load whtever driver is available.

In Device Manager>Network Adapters does the Broadcom show up and is the Device status "This device is working properly" ?

If so is it showing up in Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Change Adapter Settings  ?

If there then right click and select "status" then "details". Is an IP address shown ?

If not then click on "diagnose" and see what happens.

• ShazeM

So after some fishing around I found the Adapter, got a 'not connected' message. Found my Router address, enternd password and ended up back with the same error messages as before, re problems with Ethernet and wifi 2 Adapter drivers. Sigh! 

Is it hopeless?

• ShazeM

In cause it World help to have the Network Diagnostics Log file names...

6663B094-D6EE-4CF0-88E3-F71E7C88994B.Repair.Admin.6.etl

AAC161FD-4F64-4C65-9219-53233BD90820.Repair.Admin.0.etl

S

• ShazeM

Those relate to the Wifi 2 problem. I give up on the wired connection Smiley Frustrated

• padgett

Now I am confused. First you were talking about 802.11 (wireless). Then you mentioned wired. Do you mean no network connection (wired or wireless) works ? That does not sound like an adapter issue.

Perhaps we should start from the beginning.

ps assume you know that Fn-F3 turns the wireless on and off.

• ShazeM

Yes, I do mean that no connection works. Sorry for confusion - I never use wired, tried yesterday in desperation (it´s physically difficult to get at)
    If it´s not an adapter problem, any idea what ist might be?

• ShazeM

And yes, I know about Fn F3. The indicator is on but orange rather than blue. Restarting it makes no difference

• ShazeM

And thank you, again.  Really appreciate your help Smiley Happy

Spoiler

• padgett

Found this on Microsoft.com

"Method 1:

I suggest you to run Network adaptor troubleshooter and check if it works:

• Click on Start and enter troubleshooting in the search box.
    • Tap or click Troubleshooting.
    • Tap or click Network and Internet, tap or click Network Adapter, and follow the instructions on your screen.

Method 2:

Reinstall the Network driver in compatibility mode

The issue could have occurred due to the drivers installed not being compatible with Windows 10.

In order to use the drivers which are designed or developed for a different Operating System, we need to install them in compatibility mode.  Please follow the steps below to uninstall the network driver:

• Press Windows Key + R.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
    • Right click on the Network adaptor and select Uninstall.

To install the drivers in compatibility mode, follow the steps below:

• Right click on the setup file of the  driver and select Properties.
    • Select Compatibility Tab.
    • Place a check mark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list
    • Click OK and run the setup."