Inaccessible boot device ASPIRE ONE

Options
PattyRose
PattyRose Member Posts: 5 New User

I had Win10 working until I did a clean install, now it continually reboots with the BSOD error message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE."

So far I've tried:

Resetting BIOS to factory defaults

Created USB repair disk (via MS's media creation tool)

--startup repair - "unable to repair. log file ... .txt"

--Reset PC - "There was an issue resetting this PC."

--Command prompt - diskpart -> list volume -> chkdsk /f /v /r c: - ".....no further action required"Under diskpart, c is about half the size it should be, but there is no raw volume, it seems to simply be missing.

Any ideas?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you don't mind to backup data, do a clean command on diskpart to wipe completly your HDD and start again with windows 10 installation.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

I would also use diskpart clean command, but my files are all backed up....so it would be no big deal.

If you were previously using windows 7 and have legacy MBR instead of UEFI/GPT, you could try link below.  I don't know if it will work or make matters worse, so please use at your own risk.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

• JordanB
    Options

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

diskpart clean

be careful.  if you make a mistake with diskpart clean, there are no do-overs.

• JordanB
    Options
  • PattyRose
    Options

Thanks for the help guys.  Unfortunatly diskpart via Win10 disk didn't help me, it wasn't actually reading my drive/partitions correctly. 

However, I managed to use a LiveUSB of Linux to reformat the drive with gparted, and reinstalled Window 10.  It's now working. \o/

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Good to hear it!

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  There's been several people on this forum that run in to trouble when they try to format or partition the drive themselves.  What I have found that is bulletproof is.....after you use diskpart clean, you choose "custom install" and then install windows on the entire unallocated space.  So I don't format or partition the drive. I just let the windows installer do that automatically.  If you need to add additional partitions later, of course you can do that....later on after the installation has completed. 

• PattyRose
    Options
    Interesting. I seem to be running into the same kind of issue as I did on the Microsoft forums. There are people not actually reading my post/comments and telling me what I already said I tried.

If you read my earlier comment again JordanB, diskpart wasn't working. But I did get it working, not by partitioning, but by using a Linux-equivalent of diskpart.

I don't know why you assumed I was trying/failing to partion my drive. I did already have a Linux partition before Win10, after I just reinstalled GRUB via the same LiveUSB I used to format the Win partition. There really is no need to wipe Linux off the drive due to diskpart not working.
  • JordanB
    Options

Sorry about that PattyRose.  Yes, I read your post and saw that you had it working,before I posted.  When you said "diskpart wasn't working", I assumed you tried "diskpart clean".  The thought of you being a Linux user was in my mind briefly, but since most Linux users know it's preferable to install Windows first in a dual boot situation, I proceeded with my post that I thought you and other readers might find beneficial "next time".  Again, sorry about that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Good luck.

• XandMan
    XandMan Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error for Acer One 10.

After installing Windows 10, all went well, UNTIL.....

I "Reset Windows 10" to remove the main user account, and the BSOD was all that I saw all day!

No access to the recovery USB as well, or any other USB.

After researching, I discoverd that "resetting the UEFI drive settings" through BIOS, after hitting the  F10 key did the trick.

1) Hit the F10 key repeatedly after reboot

2) Hit the Windows Key to access the UEFI settings through BIOS

3) Alter the boot sequence to access your USB recovery drive 1st, then the main hard drive 2nd

4) save and reboot.

5) Reset settings to the factory settings (Windows 10) was the only option.

6) After a sucessful reboot (USB still in the drive) I was able to reset to Windows 8.1

OBS: A options showed up during step 5 to CLEAR/ERASE KEYS!!! I opted OUT/NO.

All is well after wasting my whole day!!!!!

:-(