Iconia W700 not compatible with Windows 10?

ricovin
ricovin Member Posts: 6 New User

Acer website list a bunch of models compatible with win10, i saw w701, w701p, but no w700 ? i don't quite understand why, and i did try update my w700 to the latest win8.1 version, and still no the get win10 app in task tray? anyone with any luck?

Best Answer

Answers

• calahorn
    calahorn Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Answer ✓

Worked for me.  Only thing that I can't get working is the bluetooth keyboard.

I used the media creation tool at the below link to force the upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• ricovin

thanks, i will go check it 

• ricovin

thank you very much, that solved the whole problem!! I didn't even need to wait for microsoft's push upate notification or anything, just updated right away. after installation, i found it using about 32g of my hard drive, and i google it, win10 should be around 12g, which means some old files from my win8.1 or other programs were still there and i could not identify them, win10 has a new function to restore/reset it to 'clean' status just like android, sweet! it took about 10-15mins, a clean 13g win10, maybe the old backup win8.1 was gone, but who cares? win8.1 sucks! i will never go back to win8.1 anyway.

and regards to your bluetooth keyborad issue, i could not use it at the beginning, but went to bluetooth setting and rescan new devices, the keybord showed up and sync, done. so far, wifi, gaming, sound, battery life, everything is working, much better GUI, user friendly,now i would say win10 finally works like a tablet OS. and thank you again

• calahorn

yeah i got my keyoard working.  Not sure what happened at first.  Installed the windows 8.1 bluetooth drivers, then uninstalled the bluetooth module driver all together.  The next time windows 10 booted, it installed and was able to detect keyboard.  Smiley Happy

Glad you got it working, yeah you have to delete the windows.old folder containing your windows 8.1 installation.  i just did a fresh install of windows 10 and it activated automatically as soon as i connected to the internet.  Smiley Happy

• haryadi_aja
    haryadi_aja Member Posts: 3 New User

May I know ho did you update your existing Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? mine asking for Windows 10 serial number although I have chosen Upgrade.

• calahorn
    Are you using the media creation tool? Do you have a legit copy of windows 8.1? If you used the kmspico tool to register your copy of windows 8.1 then I don't think it's going to work. Also. If you're using the media creation tool, you have to have updated windows 8.1 all the way until you get the get windows 10 icon in the system tray.
  • haryadi_aja

Yes, I am using media creation tool, using USB Flash Drive as my media. My copy of Windows 8.1 is legit assuming I upgraded it from pre-installed Windows 8 from Acer (from Acer recovery media). All updates from Windows has been installed, I have tried to run "Check Update" on Windows 8.1 and no more updates required. But as additional info, I did not receive notification for Windows 10 reservation.

• calahorn

Try these steps to force the icon into your system tray.  the site also lists the updates you need for it, as well as showing you how to make a script to make sure you have the proper updates and also force the get windows icon into your system tray.

http://techdows.com/2015/06/how-to-enable-get-windows-10-app-icon-windows-7-or-8-1-taskbar.html

• ricovin

thats what i did,  use the link provided by calahorn at his first reply. you will see two versions of this app, 32bit or 64 bit, depending on your win8.1 version(right click on 'this computer', 'proterties', would show win8 version), donwload it and run this app(assuming win8.1 has all important updates installed), two options pop up, 1, upgrade this pc to win10 (as i remember?) 2, someting from another....(didnot pay attention to this option). , i chose first one, it started to download win10 with the percentage, then installed, everything was done automatically, even the serial number, you may write it down before doing this. it is good to keep a record for your windows serial number. once you have internet access, win10 will be activated automatically. hope this may help you. cheers.

• haryadi_aja

@Ricovin, tried to do the steps provided by Calahorn, but I am still unable to see the "Reservation" notification on bottom of my start menu. I tried to use Windows 10 USB to do upgrade, but the setup asks me for SN, which as my thinking is not necessary as I am upgrading from Windows 8.1.

May I know do you use Windows 8 from original Acer recovery disk? is it Windows 8 Single Language?

or maybe did I download wrong version of Windows 10, as I tried to create USB drive for Windows 10 Pro from Media Creation Tool (no option for Windows 10 Single Language).

@calahorn, I tried to create the script provided, and run the script with Administrator privilege, after that tried to restart the tablet a few times, but seems nothing was changed.

• calahorn

@haryadi_aja

What version of windows 8.1 did you have?  Most W700s come with Windows 8.1 (regular version).  When you right click on the windows / start button and click on system, does it say your product is activated?

If You're running Windows 8.1 (regular version) you only qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home edition.  Not the Pro edition.  So make sure you are upgrading to the correct edition.  

If your product is not activated for whatever reason, (pirated copy, forgot to click activate, trying out tech previews) just use the windows 8.1 media creation tool to install regular windows 8.1 from USB.  This will use the hardcoded serial key in your w700s bios to activate windows.  Once thats done, try upgrading to windows 10 using the windows 10 media creation tool.  This should make everything activated and link your activation to your microsoft account.

Once done, you should be able to install windows 10 from scratch with no problems.  Let me know how it goes.

• remw700
    remw700 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, 

The keyboard still doesn't work on my W700 with Windows10. The bluetooth device can't find the keypoard or can't connect. The scanning of divices don't stop. Please can somebody help? 

• omondra
    omondra Member Posts: 2 New User

Is anyone being able to use Dolby Home Theater after upgrading to Windows 10?

The fact that Acer doesn't list the W700, a 3-year-old model, as compatible with Windows 10 and it doesn't offer any offcial drivers for the new Windows OS is a great reminder of why one should steer clear of buying Acer in the future.

• calahorn
    @remw700
    Download the Bluetooth 8.1 drivers (250mb coupled with WiFi drivers) update the Bluetooth driver in device manager and search for driver in the folder you extract the 8.1 driver to. Once it installs the 8.1 driver, go back into device manager and update the driver again. This time, search online for the driver and it will get a new one. Once that installation is done, you should be able to find your Bluetooth keyboard.
  • calahorn
    @omondra
    If it makes you happier, download the 8.1 drivers from the Acer support site, open the folder, and rename the drivers to windows 10.

Smiley Wink
  • LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

I have no hdmi output on the mini hdmi. It worked previously but after upgrading it doesn't output the video. Doesn't detect my other display is even attached. 

• calahorn
    @LJH08
    Weird, hdmi works for me. Anything missing in your device manager?
  • LJH08

Tinkerer

@omondra
    I agree. This w700 has been disappointing from the beginning. Screen has bubbles and ghosting. Its been generally slow and unresponsive regardless of an i5 and ssd. I cringe every time a friend says "I bought a new acer computer!!!"

Last time I go with Acer over a 200 dollar differnce. 

• calahorn
    Weird, mines very responsive as long as I took out the bloatware. I do get the ghosting, but it goes away right away. It was worth it to me because of the Bluetooth keyboard and dock. Smiley Happy
  • LJH08

Tinkerer

@calahorn
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just noticed it wasn't working last night and haven't had time to track it down much. I'll check that out.  I've tried completely clean installs with other OS cd's I have from 8.1 and installing the drivers manually. It works better now than ever before but still has issues. My Ex wife had an acer laptop when we married and we had horrible luck with it as well. So I've  had nothing but bad experiences on Acer products. The Surface had the magnetic keyboard at the time, but I went with Acer due mostly to cost savings. (Mine's an original model... about a month after first release of the w700 line.. fall 2012.)