Iconia W700 Screen Brightness Problem with Windows 10

edfritz
edfritz Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer Iconia W700 that I recently updated with Win10.  The upgrade went flawlessly.  Everything seems to work fine: Bluetooth, Wifi, Audio, USB 3, etc.  But, the only thing I can't make work is the Screen Brightness.

Yeah, graphics pop up fine, screen resolution is perfect, touch screen is spot on.  But the **bleep** thing is at 100% screen brightness all the time.  Brightness controls on the keyboad do nothing, and I can't find any way on the tablet to adjust brightness. Under Windows 8.1 I was able to adjust a slider in the charms menu on screen right...no such option on Windows 10.

On top of running down my battery faster it's also blinding to look at!

I've tried downloading Intel's drivers and installing them but no change.  The drivers listed here on Acer Support are for Windows 8 or 8.1 and go back to the year 2013, so I haven't tried them.

Any ideas?

<script type="text/javascript">// window.onbeforeunload = function() {} // </script>

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

With my W700 I can go into Settings; Display and there is a brightness level slider, plus the 'Adjust my brightness automatically' toggle.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • edfritz
    edfritz Member Posts: 2 New User

Interesting...I have no such thing in Display Settings.

I did try to reinstall the Win8.1 drivers from Acer but they only slowed my computer down to a frustrating crawl.  I reverted back to the Intell Win10 drivers.  Seems to work but still no brightness option.

Thanks for the info, though.  At least I now know it suppose to have a slider for brightness.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

I first found a Display Driver Uninstall Utility  [http://www.computerforum.com/threads/how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-graphics-drivers-amd-nvidia-intel.230370/] which I used to uninstall ALL Intel graphics drivers.  This forced Windows 10 to revert to Microsoft generic graphics drivers.  Still no brightness control, but I got rid of the other drivers to start fresh.

Then I found an Intel Driver Update Utility [http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu] and installed that.  It scanned my computer and found a display driver for Windows 10.  It was also a version I haven't seen yet (Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 64bit (3rd Gen & BYT) - Ver. 15.33.38.64.4252 - 7/29/2015).

I'm giving it a reboot now....drum roll please....And....No change!  Under Device Manager I see the display driver is back to Intell HD Graphics 4000 - ver. 10.18.10.4252 and has the little yellow warning triangle on it.  The device status is: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)"

I guess I'm back to where I started.  I'll prusue the Code 43 error now.

<script type="text/javascript">// window.onbeforeunload = function() {} // </script>