Iconia W4 820 works great with Windows 10

ShowsOn
ShowsOn Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

Hi, just wanted to pass on that Windows 10 works great on the W4 820; in fact it works better than Windows 8.1!

I did have one issue with the upgrade. The wifi would sometimes stop working. So I downloaded the latest driver pack for windows 8.1, decompressed the file so I could just get to the wifi driver. I then deleted the default Win 10 driver and installed the Win 8.1. Driver. After doing that the wifi has worked without issue.

Also after Win 10 loads the first time everything will be slow because there is no proper Intel HD graphics driver installed, but it is easy to get the correct driver installed by running Windows Update manually. Once the correct driver is installed proper hardware rendering will work. In my experience the interface works BETTER than on 8.1.

To actually do the upgrade I downloaded the Windows 10 ISO image using the app here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Remember, you need the 32 bit version of Win 10 home.

I then used Rufus to convert the ISO to a USB:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

I then just ran the installer from within 8.1 and told it I wanted to keep all my apps and settings.

One benefit of Win 10 is that it compresses system files that aren't often used. I performed a disk clean up before the upgrade, including system files, which resulted in 6.5 GB of free space. But after upgrading to Win 10 and again performing a system disk clean up, which included deleting the backed up Win 8.1 files, I now have 12 GB free. Regarding RAM, it seems Windows 10 uses somewhat less ram than 8.1. Often after just starting the tablet there is less than 1 GB in use, which is great on a 2 GB machine.

So I strongly recommend installing Windows 10 on this tablet. It is a wonderful free upgrade.

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to provide that write up. Hopefully others will find it helpful and I'm glad it's working well for you.

Cory

• ShowsOn
    ShowsOn Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

One thing I didn't mention. The Edge browser is very fast on this tablet! It seems Microsoft did a very good job optimising Edge even for low end hardware.

• pts
    pts Member Posts: 2 New User

Does your camera work? Mine stopped working after upgrade to Windows 10. I wonder what to do to fix it?

• EDIflyer
    EDIflyer Member Posts: 7 New User

Just upgraded to Windows 10 and mine is working OK.  New W4-820, applied BIOS upgrades then did an in-place Windows 10 upgrade (picking to not retain any settings/apps/data during the setup process).  Have you tried doing a driver search via Windows Update?

• luckyprem
    luckyprem Member Posts: 1 New User

bro hows the battery back up? does windows 10 eats the battery? or its improved? p.s hows touch experience? any laging? i want to install windows 10 too, just confused to install or not

• EDIflyer
    It seems pretty good TBH. I only used it for a day before upgrading so difficult to compare but happy with battery life and touch experience!
  • pts
    pts Member Posts: 2 New User

I manaded to get my camaras to work on Windows 10.

I downloaded driver package from Acers support site. The package was this one:

OthersAcerMaster Installer1.1685.2 MB2014/12/04

Then I started Device Manager and updated the camera drivers (front and rear) manually (System devices -> Camera sensor...). These drivers are ov2722.inf and ov5693.inf and can be found in \MI\Drivers\Camera in the extracted package. There is also camera.inf. I don't know what that is, maybe a combination of those two. I right clicked it in File Explorer and hit Install. I don't known what happended but at least this didn't seem to do any harm Smiley Happy

• bugspop1
    bugspop1 Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

I installed Windows 10 on my Acer Iconia W4-820-2882 Tablet.

Everything went off without a hitch.

Haven't really used the Tablet much as I purchased a New Acer Aspire V5 573p-6896 Touch Screen Laptop shortly after the Tablet Purchase.

Well, I used the Tablet yesterday when I went to Lowes.

Today I wanted to check the notes I had taken and the Touch Screen wasn't working.

I did everything I could think of including Reverting back to Windows 8.1.

I also did a Reinstall of Windows 8.1 to the Factory Settings, Touch Screen still isn't working.

Not sure what caused this problem?

I don't want to blame Windows 10 for causing this!

It just happened shortly after the Install of Windows 10.

I have 5 Laptops and 1 Desktop all running Windows 10 without any problems!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

IT's always possible that the touch screen had a hardware issue, and the W10 install wasn't related at all. I'd contact Acer support and see if they can diagnose the issue further.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bugspop1

Tinkerer

billsey,

Again, thank you for your response.

I was able to fix this issue myself.

I had already Uninstalled Windows 10, but will soon be reinstalling it.

The problem ended up being; one of the Flat Flex Cables being loose (not sure which connection, I reseated all associated with the Touch Screen).

I did post a bit more in depth at the Acer Forum Posting about the Touch Screen Not working on Acer Iconia w4-820.

I posted here hoping someone might know if the problem might have been caused by Windows 10.

• EDIflyer

Thanks for letting us know the outcome and glad you go it sorted!

• LordGG
    LordGG Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

Thanks, I've just installed Windows 10 on my Acer W4 and it works great.

If you chose a full installation (without keeping applications, settings etc) like I did and you want to reinstall Office 2013 Home Student (which was pre-installed), you can go there :

https://products.office.com/en-us/get-office-oem-download-page

If you still have your product key, you will be able to download a setup and get your Office 2013 back.

• EDIflyer

Nice tip, thanks LordGG!

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

LordGG,

I finally got around to using your link for downloading MS Office 2013.

I ran into a problem I'm wondering if you can enlighten on? 

When I get to the place where you would Download the File at it comes up saying:

Your Subscription Period Will Begin When You Click Continue.

Office Continue Button  (Sorry about the Link for my Picture, tried to post Image but it's not working)

My question is: Am I actually Subscribing to the New Version of MS Office where you pay every year?

It never gave me an option as to What Version I had and what version it was going to download.

It did however ask for my 25 Digit Key Code and my Microsoft Account (@live.com) and Password, so I assume they know what version I have.

I don't want to have to pay for a new version every year!

I just wanted a Backup of Office so I could set my Tablet up like yours, no Acer Extras!

Could it be that I was trying to Download this on my Acer Laptop and not my Acer Tablet?

Just using my Laptop to Download because it has a USB 3.0 instead of the USB 2.0 on the Tablet!

I was going to back it up to a Kingston Flash Drive!

Just tried itnon the Tablet, still get the same thing.

Don't want a Monthly or Yearly subscription, no money available.

Thanks Bugspop1

• aswinpaul321
    aswinpaul321 Member Posts: 1 New User

hi,

I'm facing the same problem regarding the Wi-Fi.... Im unable to permanently uninstall the default driver....the moment i fish its uninstall its just refreshs and reverts back to old state....What are the steps i should follow to get rid of the default win 10 driver and install the 8.1 driver for WLAN .

Aswin

• LordGG
    LordGG Member Posts: 2 New User

hi bugspop1,

I didn't get the same warning. I juste typed my Product ID (the one corresponding to my Licence Windows + Office Home Student 2013). I don't remeber I had to log on.

And I have just checked, I have a Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 activated, nothing about any subscription. Are you sure your Acer W4 was sold with a Office Home and Student 2013, and not an Office 365 licence for one year ?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

See my posting about the DPTF.

Basically you need to do is go to Device Manager/<select device and driver>/Update Driver/Browse my computer/Let me pick from list then pick the driver you want from the list displayed (if not there you may need to load it). 

Now if you have a problem with this, find a 15 year old.

• bugspop1

Tinkerer

LordGG

Yes, my Acer Iconia W4-820 2882 came with MS Office 2013 Home and Student Preinstalled.

The Activaction Card that Came with it is also for MS Office 2013 Home and Student.

I have checked the Tablet and it is the MS Office 2013 Vesion that is installed and activated on my tablet.

I don't want to download the 365 Version and I'm afraid that's what I will get if I click Continue.

I'm only assuming this because it says something about your subscription period will begin. 

• zoeff50
    zoeff50 Member Posts: 20 New User

Upgraded new Iconia W4 Win8.1 to Win10 Home w/o problems.  Selected not to retain any personal programs and settings etc. Excellent piece of kit, far better than i had expected.

Everything seems to work ok with Win10, but somehow I lost the auto screen orientation feature. After the upgrade I think remembering auto portrait/ landscape screen orientation worked ok, but now not anymore. What I also remember from another (Win10) tablet I tried, that in the Action Center in the System Tray there was a button "screen orientation lock" or similar, which button is not visible on my Win10 W4.

Anything to do with Win10 settings or a missing(?) Acer driver?

Another question is if it is necessary to upgrade the BIOS for Win10. On the Acer support site for software, two BIOS versions are shown; the original (Win8.1) BIOS and a newer 2015 version BIOS for Win10. I assume I have still the Win8.1 BIOS. What are the benefits of the BIOS for Win10? I am always a bit reluctant to update the BIOS, because there is a risk that something goes wrong and you end up with a non working tablet.

Please advise.

• EDIflyer

zoeff50 wrote:

Upgraded new Iconia W4 Win8.1 to Win10 Home w/o problems.  Selected not to retain any personal programs and settings etc. Excellent piece of kit, far better than i had expected.

Everything seems to work ok with Win10, but somehow I lost the auto screen orientation feature. After the upgrade I think remembering auto portrait/ landscape screen orientation worked ok, but now not anymore. What I also remember from another (Win10) tablet I tried, that in the Action Center in the System Tray there was a button "screen orientation lock" or similar, which button is not visible on my Win10 W4.

Anything to do with Win10 settings or a missing(?) Acer driver?

Another question is if it is necessary to upgrade the BIOS for Win10. On the Acer support site for software, two BIOS versions are shown; the original (Win8.1) BIOS and a newer 2015 version BIOS for Win10. I assume I have still the Win8.1 BIOS. What are the benefits of the BIOS for Win10? I am always a bit reluctant to update the BIOS, because there is a risk that something goes wrong and you end up with a non working tablet.

Please advise.

I went for the latest BIOS version and it seems to be working fine.  I do remember having an issue with screen rotation temporarily not working but it seemed to then resolve after a reboot.