Hello Having a problem updating to windows 10 Aspire Z3620

Options
leahmay74
leahmay74 Member Posts: 17 New User

HI there

Im new here and having a problem updating from 8.1 to windows 10. Stuck at 84% and having to roll back to 8.1

I read that I need to update the BIOS in which I checked and there is a newer version, but I really don't want to do this without advice or guidance from an expert.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ROM folder contains the BIOS file, DOS and WIN folders contain the software to flash the BIOS file.

DOS normally is safer but is not really a big difference.

If something goes wrong, there is a recovery operation to do but this is only available on service manual.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

First of all, you must know your actual BIOS version.

press windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

search the string "Bios version/date" and report here, the BIOS version.

• leahmay74
    Options

IronFly wrote:

First of all, you must know your actual BIOS version.

press windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

search the string "Bios version/date" and report here, the BIOS version.

Hi IronFly Thank you,

Yes the Bios version is AMI PO1-A3

• IronFly
    Options

normally P01.xx version caan be updated only using P01.xx version too.

so probably P01.B0 is an updated version of your A3.

which version of windows had your PC from factory?

• leahmay74
    Options

IronFly wrote:

normally P01.xx version caan be updated only using P01.xx version too.

so probably P01.B0 is an updated version of your A3.

which version of windows had your PC from factory?

It has a Windows 7 sticker on it. So I'm assuming that was the original windows. What I'm worried about is the computer bricking while updating the Bios. I've read on how to prepare your computer before updating to  windows 10. So I've done a backup to onedrive for now but I think I should go get a USB stick to back up the OS as well. I'm not sure if that's necassary for a Bios update though, probably wouldn't hurt. All I know is the Acer support page for information on your system and updating to windows 10, said make sure you have updated your BIOS. ugh. I just wish this was simpler. Been trying to figure it out for days. I'd like to just update my bios driver and hopefully have a successful update to windows 10. 

• IronFly
    Options

ok, so the latest available is P01.B0.

BIOS update is simple, inside the zip there's a readme.doc file with some basic instruction on how to flash it.

• leahmay74
    Options

IronFly wrote:

ok, so the latest available is P01.B0.

BIOS update is simple, inside the zip there's a readme.doc file with some basic instruction on how to flash it.

Okay, so I'll give it a shot. If it works out I'll try and update to windows 10 again. I'm kinda scared but hopefully this does the trick. I'll post back one way or the other, thanks for your help

Update: So I think you have to be pretty techy to understand the readme doc that's included in the download. I extracted the zip file to c:users whatever file and the intructions to type in the location path in command prompt, just isn't clear at all. I tried the first step and just keeps saying can't find path or doesn't understand command. I don't know who wrote out those instructions but wow.. really not straight forward at all. Maybe its easy for a computer wiz person but definitley not for the average person. 

• leahmay74
    Options

The readme txt gives intruction on how to flash bios in dos mode. The acer tutorial says that you find the install.exe within the folders that are downloaded and it does everything automatically. This is confusing and I have no idea what file to choose. There's 3 folders, one is Dostool one is ROM and the other one is Wintool. I have no idea which application within those files to choose.

• IronFly
    Options

first of all, you need to know if your windows installation is x86 or x64 version.

press windows logo key + x

choose 

system

look for system type:

64-bit is x64

32-bit is x86

once you know that, go to WinTool folder and choose 32 or 64 folder according to your system type.

then double click

afuwingui.exe

and follow instructions.

• leahmay74
    Options

Okay thank you, more clear now. Just need to know though. I read on another discussion that you had mentioned that doing this from a usb with Rufus in dos is safer. Is that what the ROM file is for? Also in case something goes wrong, how would I recover? Sorry but with the risk of losing my computer, I would just like to perhaps have a backup if possibel.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ROM folder contains the BIOS file, DOS and WIN folders contain the software to flash the BIOS file.

DOS normally is safer but is not really a big difference.

If something goes wrong, there is a recovery operation to do but this is only available on service manual.
  • leahmay74
    Options
    Hi.. well I ended up bringing my computer to a tech. Just don't want to chance something going wrong. The weird thing is. Is that apparently the bios zip file I downloaded from "what I assumed was the real deal acer site" gave me a file full of malware. I'm pretty sure the site which linked me here for support is the legit acer site. So this doesn't make sense. Anyways thank you for yr help and time.. it did help. Atleast it lead me in the right direction. If the tech guy can't fix it then time for a new computer I guess.
  • IronFly
    Options
    You welcome.