Having trouble with Audio after upgrading to Windows 10

Options
Mariluz
Mariluz Member Posts: 8 New User

I had a free Upgrade to Windows 10 option on my Acer Aspire SW5-011 laptop. Everything seemed to be working fine, except I didn't bother checking the audio before removing Windows 8 files... Even though the computer thinks that the Audio Drivers are working fine they are not. I have tried everything I could find online to see if I could get any sound but nothing has worked. I updated the drivers, removed rebooted and updated the drivers, I tried to find other acceptable drivers, and followed other various steps. When I go to playback tab in Sound and click on Speakers then I go to the Advanced tab, the default format says, '16bit, 48000 hrtz' and is grey, I can't click on it and when I try to test it it says, 'Failed to play testtone'. It's as if something is preventing me from accessing it or it's acting like I don't have speakers?? The speaker driver is called 'Intel SSD Audio Device'. The audio worked fine before the download. Is there any way to fix my Audio, or to get access to it again?

Best Answer

• Mariluz
    Answer ✓
    Options

Okay so I had to update my post because I had to give the good news!! Now this is how I am and I try almost everything and tinker with different things. My audio is working now. I went back to the Acer Download Drivers and Manual for my device and I checked under Windows 8 32bit, which was the Windows it had before. I installed my Identity Card which was removed before when I had restarted or whatever number of things I tried, and then I went under Drivers and installed the Master Installer. I made sure I extracted all the files before doing the setup. After it restarted my Laptop I heard the Windows Startup noise and I knew it was working because I had no audio at all before. Not sure why this worked but it did!!! I felt there was some kind of file missing or some compatibility issue, I'm just glad that the Master Installer helped. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5687;-;SW5-011#_ga=1.21697787.1131678756.1448199856

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Have you tried a driver from Realtec?

I'm pretty sure you already tried the audio driver from Acer.

• Mariluz
    Options

Hi thanks for responding. The driver that it downloads is Realtek 12S Audio Codec and it goes along with Intel SST Audio Device (WDM). There are no warning signs next them...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I would download and install Intel platform and Realtek drivers from Acer support website:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5687;-;SW5-011

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mariluz
    Options

Alright thanks, I'll try that out right now.

Okay so update:

It doesn't allow me to do the setup this is the reason...

System Reboot Needed.PNG

Not sure what that means but I had restarted the laptop and then tried again and it still gave the same error.

• IronFly
    Options

have you tried the Realtek driver too?

on Intel fail screen, click to open log file location, if it's not too big, can you attach it here? (try to zip it)

• Mariluz
    Options

The Realtek driver installed fine, didn't change audio. I will try to attach the intel file's.

• IronFly
    Options

ok.

one thing to check is under Device manager, click on View tab and choose "show hidden devices", if any yellow exclamation mark or unknow device is listed.

in the worst case, you can try to reset windows 10 but you will need an USB windows 10 installation media and boot from that.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236

• Mariluz
    Options

I was trying to reply to IronFly but it wasn't letting me so I guess I'll do it this way. I have already reinstalled Windows 10 but it didn't fix the issue. It also didn't require a USB but I had it handy, it said I could just reinstall it or something like that. So I did. I had tried reset as well before. The computer downloads the latest drivers for Windows 10 and so I don't know if rollback means that it's an older version - the Intel Platforms, even so, it doesn't let me download it. So if I can't fix the issue what I wanted to know if there is a way to take Windows 10 out and put back Windows 8 version.. I can't do it from my computer because I dn't have the files, but if maybe I can find another way? Oh yeah, and there is not yellow exclamation marks even in hidden devices.

• IronFly
    Options

you can check if windows 10 gives you the option to revert back to windows 8.1

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-revert-back-your-previous-os-after-windows-10-upgrade

or try to press Alt+F10 at boot to enter Acer erecovery.

if this doesn't work:

you can buy from Acer the official recovery:

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• Mariluz
    Answer ✓
    Options

Okay so I had to update my post because I had to give the good news!! Now this is how I am and I try almost everything and tinker with different things. My audio is working now. I went back to the Acer Download Drivers and Manual for my device and I checked under Windows 8 32bit, which was the Windows it had before. I installed my Identity Card which was removed before when I had restarted or whatever number of things I tried, and then I went under Drivers and installed the Master Installer. I made sure I extracted all the files before doing the setup. After it restarted my Laptop I heard the Windows Startup noise and I knew it was working because I had no audio at all before. Not sure why this worked but it did!!! I felt there was some kind of file missing or some compatibility issue, I'm just glad that the Master Installer helped. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5687;-;SW5-011#_ga=1.21697787.1131678756.1448199856

• IronFly
    Options

Good to hear it but at this point the windows 10 Intel platform is broken.

• Mariluz
    Options

What do you mean the Platform is broken, You mean the other platform that you were telling me to try to download is broken?

• IronFly
    Options

i think so, since it didn't install.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

MS pulled the download. You can only upgrade with Windows Update.

• Mariluz
    Options

I was messing around with the mic and I see that my audio and video work with 2014 drivers but not the newer ones cause I tried updating the realtec driver and the sound didn't function again so I rolled it back. Anyways, I'm good thanks for the input everyone.