Formatting in Windows 10 environment - Acer Aspire 5920

Options
Mascibran83
Mascibran83 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Good evening, forum's members!! Although I have Windows 10 on my laptop, I plan to return to Windows 7 due to the network adapter driver's incompatibility, failure that prevents the laptop from automatically connecting to my internet, forcing me to run the network diagnostics every time I turn the laptop on.Smiley MadSmiley Mad

I've clarified some doubts with a person who trades Windows 7 licenses on a varied shopping site, such as E-Bay.
He told me that, after payment, he would send the Windows 7 license activation link via e-mail.
The installation of Windows 7 is conditioned on the formatting of the laptop.

I would like to elucidate three doubts:

1) Could I perform this formatting myself?

2) Do I need advanced support to do it?

3) After performed formatting, how could I access my e-mail in order to install Windows 7?

PS: In Windows 10, from the Start menu, I accessed: 

Settings / Update and Security / Recovery, on the left side of the screen.

On the right side, there is the option "More recovery options. Learn how to start from zero with a clean       installation of Windows".

When you select the last sentence, another window appears with the following explanation:

"Restart by reinstalling and updating Windows. This will keep your personal files and some Windows settings and remove most of your applications, including Microsoft Office, third-party anti-virus software and desktop applications that came preinstalled on your device".

Could I perform the formatting from the procedure above?Smiley Happy

Best regards

Mascibran

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

First reselling/selling Windows 7 licences is quite common and may very well work for you.

How/Where do you get a copy of Windows 7 to install?

You need a money back guarantee because it is quite likely that unless your laptop is quite old there will NO drivers in Windows 7 for most of your hardware.  So your WiFi wont work, any touchpad, bluetooth audio etc will need to hunted down and hopefully found before you commit.

Now if you get a W7 licence and can then make a DVD or USB with it on will your machine be allowed to register itself if it is an OEM for a HP machine?

So you will need to be able to make an install media, make sure your BIOS will boot from it.  Wipe or shrink your existing system, probably losing the link, get into quite complicated partitioning and have a non-working system at the end of it.

Good Luck with all that.

OR accept that if your system is supposed to be W10 then keep it W10 and fix any faults.

However if you have previously had Windows 7 on that machine, and not wiped any recovery area is it still there, and can you use it? No need then to buy another W7 licence, and if you do want to buy, why not buy the original ACER disks that will work from scratch?

The full model number of your machine may help us to help you, in that there may be a full set of Acer drivers.

If in doubt please ask.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Mascibran83
    Mascibran83 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Good evening, @doughjohn! Thank you for answering my inquiriesSmiley Happy Regardind to these Acer disks, what is their content? I presume they are not marketed in the country where I live, Brazil. I'll tell you the model of my laptop,  as written on the labels below it:

Acer Aspire - Model ZD1

[edited for privacy - THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM - please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

My suggestion is to define your WiFi card and then install and adjust settings.

It will work from bootup if the settings are correct.