Driver Updates for Aspire Z1620

WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I am trying to ensure all drivers are up-to-date via ACER Support, and when I enter SN or SNID for the above unit Support incorrectly identifies it as a Windows 8 OS upgraded from Windows 7.  Purchased April 2012 the unit came with Windows 7 and received the free Windows 10 upgrade August 2015. I'm guessing I should correct this in the drop-down and select the actual original OS, Windows 7. When I do so the available drivers look more logical, for example identifying a driver from the correct LAN vendor, RALINK. Although there is a later driver update for an ACER brand LAN.

Any thoughts, folks, on which way to go here?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Stay with windows downloaded drivers (they are updated and windows will download Acer official drivers too), not need to search new drivers and don't install windows 7 drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

Stay with windows downloaded drivers (they are updated and windows will download Acer official drivers too), not need to search new drivers and don't install windows 7 drivers.

• WJB-2

That's critical to know, so much thanks. I've marked this as solution and trust it will help others with the ever confusing issue of driver updates. I will just note I'm going to extremes regarding drivers because for more than half a year this former Win7 unit has repeatedly shown Windows 10 Update Error 0xC1900101-0x40017 for the first major update, "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, 10586." My formerly Win8 E Series has taken all Win10 upgrades including "10586," so my last hope is to upgrade the Z1620's BIOS (and the E series, I suppose) as ACER suggests on its Win10 pages. If that doesn't do it, I'll try a full system reset as a final resort to get "1511, 10586."

Thanks again!

• IronFly
    You welcome.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

Some people seeing 0xC1900101-0x40017 errors have had luck downloading the update, disconnecting from your network and then doing the update. If you're not on the network it skips some potentially problematic steps.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WJB-2

Well, nothing to lose so I'll try network disconnect, Billsey.  But first, to assure we're in sync, I have the MS Media Creation Tool downloaded to the HDD with a copy on a USB "stick." MCT properties show file/product version 10.0.1056.35. When I start this application, it will begin downloading the full corresponding Windows 10 version (unless it automatically takes the latest build; that I don't know). Then it will begin installation.  But I can't disconnect the network then, because I believe it must go out to the cloud and get the correct drivers -- the original subject of this post.  So ... when can I safely disconnect network?  After drivers download?
    I realize I can convert MCT contents to an ISO on disk, but that would not change the install process.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

I think you'd be safer to download the update itself instead of the full version... That way your less likely to accidentally do an install tht wipes your apps and such.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • WJB-2

Well, after following and adjusting IronFly's and Billsey's guidance, I finally have Windows 10 version 1511, 10586. It's running smooth, particularly after turning off the search indexer and indexing service. I also went down the long list of Privacy factors and turned each "Off."
    As to the install itself, it took a few tries. Success followed deletion of all "SoftwareDistribution" files -- which are immediately repopulated. As to dropping WiFi, I did so even though the MS installer appears to drop the connection immediately as install commences. Interestingly, blue-screen occurred at 75 percent completion as drivers and features finished installing.  I had to do a hard restart and to my pleasant surprise the install continued to finalization rather than restoring the old version and build.

Weeks ago MS pushed anniversary update 1607 on the unit involved here, my Z1620.  Curiously, MS left my newer and more powerful E Series alone. Of course a 1607 install failed.  While it's tempting to reattempt 1607, I'm going to wait for some of the major bugs being reported to be corrected.  If that ever happens.