Clean Windows Install on VN7-791G-52G

Options
M0d3r12t
M0d3r12t Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Appologies - I know this subject has been asked before but I am not getting anywhere with previous answers.

I have had my laptop for ome time and it updated automatically within the first week of ownership (2015) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The machine never worked properly after the upgrade. I finally gave up and decided on a clean install of the OS.

I downloaded the iso image of the Windows 10 Enterprise 1607 64-bit from the Volume Licencing center (MSPN) and burnt it to DVD. I also created a bootable USB stick using Rufus.

I entered the BIOS configuration tool and put the CD drive on the top of the boot order, and rebooted.

After the 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' prompt I pressed a key and received a message stating that there was no EUFI CD/DVD drive installed, and to run the restore cd/dvd from .......

I tried using the USB stick. Entered the BIOS and moved USB HDD and USB FDD to the top of the boot order (NOTE: There is no option for a USB stick).

Rebooting I was informed that there were no USB interfaces installed.

I entered BIOS and disabled EUFI boot (enabling legacy boot). Rebooted and the installation bootstrapped from the USB stick.

After language and keyboard selection (only has American as a language) the installation hangs with a missing media driver error.

I have installed Windows hundreds of times (from 3.0 to 10) and have only had issues like this when installing Windows Server on HP Server hardware. All of the media in the Acer Laptop should run from the generic Microsoft drivers. So what is the issue.

Answers

• M0d3r12t
    Options

Having done all that it has just started trying to boot from the Network, cannot find a bootable hard disk.

I can't power down either. Pressing the power button just restarts the cycle (no matter how long you hold it for).

• M0d3r12t
    Options

Fixed that. Had to very quickly press F2 and change the boot back to EUFI.