Can anyone help me with fixing my drivers for the Standard PS/2 keyboard?

Options
jLu
jLu Member Posts: 10 New User

I have been trying to fruitlessly trying to reinstall the driver for the Standard PS/2 keyboard.  I had originally posted about being unable to boot up at all.  For some reason unknown to me, the laptop (Acer Aspire ES1-131) finally booted up but I lost a lot of drivers.  I was able to get back online after downloading the drivers from the Acer site but it seems there are no keyboard drivers to be found.  I've tried updating, unistalling and rebooting, reinstalling Windows 10, using the media creation tool to repair Windows 10.  I've used all the troubleshooting tools imaginable and been on the phone/online chat with Microsoft and Acer...still nothing.  Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a similar question in the E series section as I'm not sure what is the proper angle I should be working to get the appropriate drivers.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

One more thing we can try.

in search type regedit, double click Regedit

go to

HKEY Local Machine

System

Current Control Set

Services

i8042

Double click default and change value data to 1

Close Regedit and reboot.

Cross your fingers

• jLu
    Options

Thanks for your persistence on trying to help me with this issue, philetus.  I tried this and still no dice (remembered to cross my fingers and everything)!

Is this information useful to you at all?

Device ACPI\1025087F\4&18792dad&0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: keyboard.inf
    Class Guid: {4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Service: i8042prt
    Lower Filters:
    Upper Filters:
    Problem: 0xA

• jLu
    Options

Thanks for the info.  Microsoft support had me try that as well with no result (though I'll try it again for good measure).  At this point they are telling me it's my responsibility to get the drivers from Acer.  So, I'll get back in touch with Acer support and see if I can gain any headway.  Of course any new suggestions are always welcome.  I didn't quite expect getting a new laptop to become a full-time job!

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Go to device Manager, Windows key+x

Click on Keyboard

Double click  Standard PS/2 Keyboard,Details tab, Change the Property drop down menu to 

Hardware IDs and copy the first line.

Use this to search for a driver.

• jLu
    Options

I've got the first line and am searching for drivers but so far no luck.  I contacted both Microsoft and Acer support today.  Microsoft says I need to get the drivers from Acer.  The Level 1 Acer support technician says I need to call back when a Level 2 technician is available.  So, I'll be calling again tomorrow.