Can I update free to Windows 10 from my Aspire ZC-102 All in One desktop from Windows 8.1?

Options
vankjeff
vankjeff Member Posts: 24 New User

Can I update free to Windows 10 from my Aspire ZC-102 All in One desktop from Windows 8.1?

I bought my ACER with Windows 8 on it a year ago thru HSN. Then I upgraded to 8.1 using the Store thing on the computer. I've not been a fan of 8 or 8.1. I'm told that Windows 10 comes out on Friday and that upgrades are free somehow. Maybe that's thru doing the beta testing that I've read about. I don't know. But I'm not in very good shape financially and my computer's operating system is going nuts on me so an upgrade would probably fix things pretty well.
I'd tried to do a Repair Install of 8.1 but was somehow told that since I'd upgraded from 8, a Repair Install couldn't be done thru the Control Panel. I'm clueless and I'm hurting. Can I have some help please?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,891 Trailblazer
    Options

If you have all your Windows updates installed you should see an icon in the status bar that allows you to request the upgrade. You may have to click on the little up arrow to see all icons on the status bar in order to find it. You also might hve to manually install updates to make sure you have them all.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • vankjeff
    vankjeff Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

Thanks. I see that white icon down by the clock that hovered says GET WINDOWS 10. So even though I downloaded Windows 10 yesterday and burned it into being a bootable DVD, I went ahead and just Reserved My Upgrade since the DVD hasn't been cooperating.

When I stuck it in and hit any key as the ACER started, it brought me to a screen that I couldn't figure out what to do on. I was clueless and I didn't want to cause myself any grief by just trying anything. I did just backup my28+ GB of Photos, Docs, Desktop, Downloads & Music.
    But I don't want to accidentally do a clean install, which I've done before on my XP Tablet pc and that sure isn't any fun for a novice like me.
    I only use Office 2013 and an old Paint Shop Pro 6.0 which is really old and isn't their newer v6 so it has to run in Compatibility Mode in 8.1. I'm not an APP guy either. I do use OmniPass software for passwords so I can Save and Restore them if needed, so I had to buy a 64 bit version of that to run on this ACER.
    So I guess my next step is to just wait for a Notification from Microsoft that I can now switch to 10 which I think it said will just download so my DVD won't even be needed for anything but as a repair tool.

That icon you told me about brought up a screen and on it it said that it found my PC to be compatible with Windows 10. So does that mean that drivers and everything ACER will work as they should or will I need to get anything off the ACER site to make my PC work with Windows 10?