Can I save Windows.old after W-10 Upgrade?

Options
cfourkays
cfourkays Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter

R3-131T laptop.

Finally got the W-7 Upgrade complete.

With the Hynix HBG4e hard drive, there's only 4.83GB left on the drive.

Windows.old is using 14.2GB's while Windows is only using 9.7.

Can I take the .old off and save it to a flash drive without jeopardizing the Return to 8.1???

And, do I want to do this??

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

There may also be a $Windows.~tmp directory that contains rollback information. During install when I was told there was not enough room on my W3, I had it put on the SD card and renamed Windows.81. You can also store a backup image file externally.

Answers

• cfourkays
    Options

I meant W-10...

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

There may also be a $Windows.~tmp directory that contains rollback information. During install when I was told there was not enough room on my W3, I had it put on the SD card and renamed Windows.81. You can also store a backup image file externally.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

The windows.old folder should just contain profile info (like saved documents, pictures, music and such), including hidden info that application save. If you back it up make sure you turn on viewing hidden files in Folder Option first. Once it's all properly backed up you can delete that folder with impunity.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • cfourkays
    Options

Windows.old looks like my C:/Windows

$Windows.~tmp is on the flash drive just like SD card.

I just realized I made a Acer Factory Default Backup on another flash drive and that should be all I need.

This mess started a week ago with the installation failing with the dreaded 0XC1900101.....

Good thing I'm not charging customer by the hour. When I saw a 32GB HDD I thought owner got screwed until I was able to find out it was sold that way.

Thanks for the help.