Black screen on E5-511 after Windows 10 install

Options
harry46
harry46 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, not sure I can ask a question here already?

Well, here it goes: I have upgraded my Aspire E5-511 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. After a cold boot, there appears a black screen until I press down the power button until it switches off. Booting again, it is OK, although slow. I found discussions about this by googling, it seems to realte to the Intel HD Graphics driver. According to Device Manager, I have the latest. There is a 64 bit Windows 10 device driver on the Intel web site that looks a lot newer, but it refuses to install.

Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could try the drivers on acer's website for your model:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

if that didn't work, you could download and use the Intel Driver Update Utilty.  Might be best to try the driver(s) on Acer's website first. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • techy
    techy Member Posts: 56 Troubleshooter
    Options

from my experience with this issue has happened since windows 8.1, using intel driver that installs by default in windows 10 {10.18.4252} of which was available for 8.1 from intel web site was a version that is not a customized version of Acer driver has this issue from a cold boot, just install the 8.1 driver from Acer and it will work fine.

• smegatron
    smegatron Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

techy wrote:

from my experience with this issue has happened since windows 8.1, using intel driver that installs by default in windows 10 {10.18.4252} of which was available for 8.1 from intel web site was a version that is not a customized version of Acer driver has this issue from a cold boot, just install the 8.1 driver from Acer and it will work fine.

I tried that this evening (I have an Acer Aspire V3-571) and downloaded the driver to 'downgrade' the version in an attmept to see if my graphics card/display adapter (Intel HD Graphics 4000) was the route cause of my extremely slow boot up time since upgrading to Windows 10 last week. Unfortunately this suggestion made it even worse, and increased the length of time to about 4 minutes before I even got to the login screen.

I must point out that using 8.1 my laptop was flawless and I'd from the moment I switched it on to being on the desktop was sub 30 seconds and has been for over two years.

I've spent nearly 7 days on Microsoft forums and speaking with Acer support on how to resolve this and I've finally given up and reverted back to 8.1. 

If anyone has any concrete suggestions then I'm all ears, as I really like the W10 system, but I just can deal with the rediculous increase in boot up/shutdown time compared to using 8.1.  My model is not supported for the upgrade thus drivers are not going to be produced to support it. 

My laptop is 'compatible' according to the 'Get W10' app; even Acer support said there is nothing wrong with me upgrading it's just they can't provide support for models not vigorously tested or guarantee there won't be issues.  Which is exactly the case with my boot up time.

I also note that Dolby Home Theatre v4 stopped functioning when I upgraded to W10.  Another issue I could not resolve.

I could always go back to W10, but I'm not willing to make the move again until I can guarantee a solution to the boot up issue; especially when you can't update any drivers because you already have all the latest versions for your devices.

• philrandal
    philrandal Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

This seems like a variation of the problem I had.

With Fast Start-up disabled, all worked fine.

With Fast Start-up on, when I plugged the mains power adaptor in to the E5-511, the screen went blank.

What was actually happening was that the brightness sliders had reversed their meaning, so sliding to the right dimmed rather than brightened the screen.

But only with fast start-up.

Otherwise Windows 10 seems to work fine for me.

• harry46
    Options

Thank you!

I installed the Windows 8.1 graphics driver for my laptop from the Acer web site (in the UK). No more black screen (not blank, really black!). Windows Update keeps insisting on the Windows 10 driver to be installed, but I ignore it until I see it has a later date than 27 July 2015.

By the way, a couple of days a go a massive Windows 10 update was installed, after which my laptop boots much faster. 

Thanks for all your replies!

• smegatron
    smegatron Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

Hi Harry46

What was your previous cold boot time on Windows 8.1 compared to Windows 10? Since you updated the graphics driver and the recent Windows update, what is your boot up time now?

Am just trying to see if these fixes have made any significant different. Your model (E5-511) is supported according to the Acer W10 support page, so if something isn't working right they should be relasing drivers to support W10. Well, that's what their support staff say.

Am unsure whether to give it another try and install it again. I just don't want to do it all for nothing and there's not guarantees that your solutions will work for me Smiley Sad

• harry46
    Options

Hi Smegatron,

I have never really timed it, what I remember from the boot time with Windows 8.1 that it was not too bad, but the Windows 10 boot time is now lightning fast. I used to have an Acer laptop with Vista, now booting that one was excruciatingly slow!

There is no longer a grey screen after the Acer logo for about 40 seconds like it was before the update last weekend. The desktop is displayed in one go, ie the icons and shortcuts at the bottom appear immediately. After the upgrade to Windows 10 and before the update (was that last weekend), they used to build up very slowly.

I had a fright with the "critical error in start menu and cortana" issue once, after a restart this did not happen again. 

• harry46
    Options

Hi JordanB,

I followed that link, I found that there are new Windows 10 drivers for my laptop, E5-511. I installed the graphics driver, after which the black screen problem returned. The overall performance was pretty bad as well. I reinstalled the Windows 8.1 driver, everything is fine again, accept for the nagging about having to upgrade the driver. 

• PicoldB
    PicoldB Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

had same trouble and it is ok changing windows 10, 10.18.10.4252 intel driver for windows 8.1, 10.18.10.3652 intel driver 64 bits