Aspire x1920 - since upgrading to windows 10 my DVD RW drive (E:)..........

Options
FlashingBlade68
FlashingBlade68 Member Posts: 9 New User

is recognised, however, it will not open. I have atapi dvd a dh16absh, and windows says the drivers are up to date. I've also uninstalled and re-installed. Help please I need this drive to back up my docs/pics etc. 

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Common Windows problem since Win 7: upgrade can't find the DVD (but the BIOS can). My notes say a registry key is missing: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0×00000001 

But I'd check if it works for your machine since I do not know what a x1920 is other than a display setting.

• FlashingBlade68
    Options

Thank you. 

Aspire x1920 is the model number for my Acer computer. It's a tower around 4 years old. 

I note the comment about the registry key, how would I go about trying to install this key ? 

• padgett
    Options

Either manually or as a reg.exe file. Just google "registry editor".

• FlashingBlade68
    Options

Thank you for getting back to me. I've tried to enter the key value in the registry but I keep getting error messages about not using backslashes. Can you tell me specifically what to do please, I've tried googling etc but don't understand how to do it.

• padgett
    Options

See medico's post  here. That was part of a command line. To enter manually you have to know what you are doing.

• FlashingBlade68
    Options

Tried this as well, it says "the system cannot find the path specified" 

• padgett
    Options

Then either you will need to learn how to use regedit or find someone who does. You need to open regedit.exe, save a copy (file>export) first so you can recover if make a mistake, navigate to the indicated path (and create it if is missing but I have never needed to do that) and add the missing dword. Then reboot. 

In the end you should have in the left column:

HKEY_Local_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Contr​oller0

and in the right column

EnumDevice1  REG_DWORD    0x00000001 (1)

Keep in mind that any manipulation of the registry is potentially dangerous - know what you are doing and always save (export) a backup first. If you do not understand all of ths, take it to someone who does.

• FlashingBlade68
    Options

I've tried the solution - think I did it correctly! Still not working unfortunately. I've done a screen print of the registry as a word document - how can I put it on here so you can see it ? 

• FlashingBlade68
    Options

Here is the screen print hope this is ok ? 

Screenshot (2).png

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,892 Trailblazer
    Options

Your screenshot isn't showing HKEY_Local_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Contr​oller0, it looks like HKEY_Local_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TSDDD\DEVICE0. Make sure you are in Controller0 and have created the key called EnumDevice1 and have set its value to 1.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FlashingBlade68
    Options

Thank you to all

My drive is working now - not a clue why I wasn't able to use the registry fix suggested. I have had to download VLC player to view dvds and the windows photo app also doesn't work, however, you can open photos in other viewers so just about sorted!