Aspire m3802 - Dolby Digital Live - ALC888S-VC codec - Windows 10 64bit

clovis_de_cruz
clovis_de_cruz Member Posts: 3 New User

I recently upgraded the Windows 7 64bit operating system on the Aspire M3802 to Windows 10 64 bit and the Dolby Digital Live feature is not functioning - It's unable to playback the Dolby Digital Live 5.1 test sound to my home theatre audio video receiver via fiber optic toslink cable.

I had downloaded and installed the updated Windows 10 64bit Realtek High Definition Audio Codec from their website

(http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false)

for the ALC888S-VC codec but it still doesn't solve the problem. 

i have also tried uninstalling the previous drivers and re-installing the latest drivers. The only step I have not tried is installing the original 64 bit windows 7 drivers.

I'd welcome any suggestions.

Best Answer

• clovis_de_cruz
    Answer ✓

I have disabled the optical audio hardware and removed my 15pin vga cable and am now using HDMI.

When I use the HDMI connection, it primarily uses the Intel G43 drivers not the Realtek drivers. It is very confusing because the online manual for the board is not clear whether the board for the m3802 uses G43 or ICH10 hardware/ software.

I can see 7.1 PCM signals to my receiver but the Dolby Home theatre (v3) / Dolby Digital Live does not deliver 7.1 surround sound for my music. 

The lack of WIndows 10 support for the windows 7 Acer M3802 is very, very dissapointing. 

Solution: Don't hope for the best when buying an Acer product.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

try to install the windows 7 drivers, right click the setup.exe file and choose properties, click on compatibility tab, tick Run this program on compatibility mode" and choose windows 7.

click on Apply and OK, the try to install it. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • clovis_de_cruz

Hi IronFly,

I tried your suggestion but it didn't work - The program was unable to run under Windows 7 compatibility. But it did succeed in uninstalling the driver, restarting the PC and re-installing the latest driver using Windows Update. I am tempted to force the device to use the old drivers using the "Have Disk" option but the Windows OS states that it does not recommend the driver as it has not been tested compatible with Windows 10 and may cause instability issues. So I will refrain from using the Windows 7 64 bit driver.

• clovis_de_cruz
    Answer ✓

I have disabled the optical audio hardware and removed my 15pin vga cable and am now using HDMI.

When I use the HDMI connection, it primarily uses the Intel G43 drivers not the Realtek drivers. It is very confusing because the online manual for the board is not clear whether the board for the m3802 uses G43 or ICH10 hardware/ software.

I can see 7.1 PCM signals to my receiver but the Dolby Home theatre (v3) / Dolby Digital Live does not deliver 7.1 surround sound for my music. 

The lack of WIndows 10 support for the windows 7 Acer M3802 is very, very dissapointing. 

Solution: Don't hope for the best when buying an Acer product.