Aspire e1-571-6471 accessing recovery partition after win10 clean install

hotrod2424
hotrod2424 Member Posts: 2 New User

I made the mistake of installing a clean version of windows 10. Doing that way prevents me from activating windows. I need to upgrade from 8/8.1. So i'm trying to get to the acer recovery console/partition by hitting alt+f10 during the boot process. No matter how i try i cannot get in. It goes right in to windows 10. any suggestions of how to gain access to the acer recovery partition would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if you downloaded windows 10 installation media from Microsoft on the last week, you can clean install it and use your BIOS embedded windows 8.1 key to authenticate.

if not, download the latest version of the windows 10 installation media:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

to retrieve your product key:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

you must install windows 10 skipping the product key request steps, once at desktop, press the  windows logo key, click on Updates and security, click on Activation on the left side and follow instructions to change or activate your product key, use your windows 8.1 product key to activate.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hotrod2424
    hotrod2424 Member Posts: 2 New User

So you're saying even though win10 is currently installed i should be able to retrive the product key that was associated with win8 (it's always going to be embedded in the UEFI bios)?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Yes, when I tested it, it retrieved the original OEM windows 8.1 key.  Not the Windows 10 key.

I wrote my Windows 8.1 key down on a piece of paper a long time ago (before I upgraded to windows 10).  I compared the key it retrieved....and it was the OEM windows 8.1 key.....even though I had Windows 10 installed on my computer......it still retrieved the original OEM windows 8.1 key.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

as JordanB stated, yes. Smiley Happy