Aspire V5 571p win 10. Acer said Microsoft determined it is unsupported.

Options
D37
D37 Member Posts: 2 New User

Acer told me Microsoft made the determination regarding what models to support.  They directed me to Microsoft and of course, I can't get in touch with anyone there.

Does anyone know why this machine isn't supported when so many of the other V5s are supported?  What is the difference between this and the others?  The system specifications seem appropriate. 

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi D37,

So I don't have all of the specifics and I may make some generalizations here, but my understanding is that Microsoft is providing a free upgrade for all Win7/8.1 devices that meet their hardware criteria. Acer is only saying which devices they will provide support for and can ensure will be fully functional in Windows 10. If you meet Microsoft's requirements and want to upgrade, Acer (hardware) wouldn't stop you from doing so, but Acer may not provide drivers and you may not have the ability to use all functions.

We have to commit to what we can support and unfortunately, we cannot commit to everything so most products were determined by their age in terms of their general release date.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• D37
    D37 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for your reply. 

Is there any way to know what functions will or will not work?

What is the difference between the Aspire V5-752p which is supported and the V5-751P which is not supported? 

It is a shame a PC less than 3 years old is not supported in the upgrade. 

• joeoil
    joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User
    Options

Acer-Cory

I have tried 3 different instalation methods of Windows 10, on my Acer Aspire M3920 desktop.

- First - I did an upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, and kept my files and programs - my Acer Aspire M3920 worked fine.

- Second - I tried a "new" install of Win 10 and marked the choice delete all files, programs ,settings - my Acer Aspire M3920 worked fine.

- Third - I tried another "new" install of Win 10, this time I deleted all partitions on my HDD, after recommendations on different forums, then I got problem with my Acer Aspire that would not shutdown completely and would not wake up from sleep mode.

So, a clean install, and wiping out all partitions on my HDD, I guess deleted drivers that is required to get my computer working along with Windows 10?

And these drivers will probably not be available in the future, if I understand you correct?

My Acer Aspire M3920 is not on the list of Windows 10 supported model, on this forum. 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options

So let me get this straight. You tried the easy way and everything worked fine. So you tried a bit harder way and everything worked fine. So you tried the hardest way and you ended up missing a driver? You sure you don't have ... issues with things working right? Smiley LOL

Check to see which drivers are missing or not working right in Device Manager, then install the latest ones Acer supplies, likely 8.1. Things should work fine again.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

@joeoil

I've got an older seagate USB 3.0 drive connected to one of my USB 3.0 ports on my newish acer desktop.  When I shut the computer down, the computer shuts down fine, but the USB drive would continue to stay powered and spin in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.  My newer seagate USB 3.0 drive has always shutdown fine with both win8.1 and win10.

I had to clean re-install windows 10 again a couple days ago, due to some ill-advised decisions that I made, but won't bore you with details.  To make a long story short, after I re-installed windows 10, my older USB 3.0 drive now shuts down.  I peeked to see if Microsoft made any changes (updated a driver).....and they did.  So maybe if you run Windows 7 for now and then come back to windows 10 in 3 months, it will work...shutdown properly.  I don't know.

newdriver.PNG

Note: I have two basically identical acer desktops.  One I use for work and don't tinker with and the other I use for play and tinker with.  One of my Acer/Intel 4th gen i5 desktops was on sale at newegg for $389 a couple months ago.  Not like the old days when you had to pay an arm and a leg....if you decide you don't want to run windows 7 anymore and need a win10 computer...or an win8.1 computer that will run windows 10 better on the upgrade.  Both of my computers came pre-installed with windows 8.1.

Edit: I don't know why your computer isn't shutting down properly, but there is some specualtion on the internet that the problem is related to intel management engine that microsoft installs on a clean windows 10 install. But that's all speculation.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • joeoil
    joeoil Member Posts: 51 New User
    Options

billsey

If everything works perfect, life would be boring? Smiley Very Happy

I didn't delete a driver by an accident. But I guess when I wipe clean the HDD, all drivers will be gone, or am I misunderstanding something? I'm just an average joe on computers. A clean install of Windows will install new drivers anyway, doesn't it?

I checked all the drivers an everthing was up to date. Still I think there is some drivers that is conflicting with Win 10 OS after a clean install. But which one?

JordanB

In the last Microsoft update when I was running Windows 10 it was installed a older driver for "Intel Management Engine..." but that didn't fix the probelm on my computer. So in my case I don't think it's IMEI that's causing the problem, or?

I will now wait for the next big update on Windows 10 (october/november) before I try to install the OS again. No I'm back on Windows 7, at least for some days. Smiley Happy

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.