Aspire V5-471G windows 10 upgrade failed

Options
jassy
jassy Member Posts: 10 New User

I've tried three times to upgrade and it always fails to boot after downloading and installing.

I'm running windows 8.1 single language.

I get a screen with this message. It keeps restarting and booting to this screen.

01010.jpg

I've updated with new nvidia drivers and still got this on my third try at upgrading to windows 10.

I also tried to download the installer first but ran into a differnt problem. I got the Something Happened error.

Anything I should check in the bios?

Answers

• MattheusSilva
    MattheusSilva Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Exactly the same error here,with my aspire v5-471, i hope acer support can do something about it, there are acer notebooks way older than this that accepted the windows 10 upgrade, why does the v5471 doesnt? its ridiculous!

• jassy
    Options

One thing I haen't tried is change the bios setting for the gpu from switchable to onboard and try to install with that.

It was frustrating to recover from win 10 since f2 or del doesn't work so I keep pressing all the f buttons while it goes through that boot loop error.

What's the correct way to recover win 8 anyway?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if windows 10 failed to install, probably you still have Acer erecovery partition intact, so try to press ALT+F10 at boot.

by the way, if you want to try to access BIOS and ALT+F10 is working:

1. After a moment the Choose an Option screen will appear.
    2. On the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot, then click Advanced options.
    3. Click UEFI Firmware Settings, then click Restart. Your system will restart and enter the UEFI.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MattheusSilva
    Options

tryed all things possible, and the nly solution was to reformat my notebook, and keep this awfull windows 8, i hope acer can do somthing cus i wanna use windows 10!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Just to know, what's yours BIOS version?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MattheusSilva
    Options

´m on the last bios version 2.18

• jassy
    Options

Acer erecovery partition

So if I delete that I can successfully install windows 10?

Thanks for the alt+f10 tip.

• MattheusSilva
    Options

if you delet it and it works, please let us know,!

• jassy
    Options

Doesn't that mean I lose ability to go back to win 8? Man Very Happy

Can I create a recovery disk before I do that? How's it done with acer?

• MattheusSilva
    Options

You'll Lose your ability to go back to indows 8 without formating the computer,  but if oyu ave an windows 8 dvd sure you'll be able to go back to windows 8

• bongski55
    bongski55 Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

Of course you loose the ACER recovery ALT-F10 method is you remove the recovery partition. 
    May I also add that there is no relation between the recovery partition and installing Windows 10.

I encountered the "Something Happened" error before and the solution is to go to Control Panel on Windows 7/8 and change the Region, Locale and the Keyboard setting ALL to English US. Restart and your install should go.

• jassy
    Options

"Something Happened" was when I tried to download a win 10 iso. I did change all settings to US region. It still failed to download the iso.

I don't have a windows 8 dvd. The laptop didn't come with anything so I assume you had to create your own recovery disks. So I'm reluctant to delete the recovery partition.

• MattheusSilva
    Options

FINALLY GOT IT, I[M RUNNING WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL 64x RIGHT NOW WHILE I`M TYPING, the only whing i did was to install all the updates for windows 7 (my old operational system), tem after rebooting the computer for about 2 to 3 times, the message of upgrade appeared on my task bar, then i inserted the windows 10 profesional 64x dvd and boom, just did a clean installation of it (not keeping files, or configurations), ITS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU CONVERT YOUR HDD FROM MBR TO GPT, AND CHANGE THE BIOS BOOT SETINGS TO UEFI, BUT LET THE SECURE BOOT DISABLED, OR YOU WONT BE ABLE TO INSTALL, HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE !

• jassy
    Options

Hmm..I'm not running windows 7. I don't have a way to go back to win7 since my laptop came with win 8 and updated to win 8.1

Also a clean install wiping out my programs on c is not ideal for me.

Hopefully an update can be successfully done from win 8 to win 10.

• jassy
    Options
    MattheusSilva
    Btw how did you activate windows 10?
    I thought you first need to download and install the update>get windows 10 activated and then you can get your key so you can do a clean install with a dvd.

I can't even get past the install stage so I can get it activated to get my new key.
  • jassy
    Options

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It says if you download the iso or create a usb installer you would have to know your new windows key.

I can't get a new key without first updating this laptop to win 10 and activating from within laptop. Only then can I do a clean install.

My asus laptop updated to win 10 without a hitch and that's an older laptop. sigh...

• jassy
    Options

I cleaned installed my asus laptop and I got it wrong in my earlier post. You don't need a windows key for 10.

But you still need to update and activate it first so your laptop can be "registered". After registring you can do a clean install and microsoft will recognize your hardware and activate your os without the user doing nothing.

Now with the acer laptop I can't even update and boot to the desktop to activate win 10. Man Frustrated