Aspire V3-772G wifi-issues after win10 update

Cander
Cander Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello!

Unfortunately got problem with the laptop's wifi after last month's win10 update, not completly broken but working very unconsistent.

It's working fine at home, although it seems like depending on where you are and what networks that are around you, i.e at work when starting up the computer sometimes it work, but the wifi-menu hangs up when trying to change network, "connecting" forever, then eventually crashes and the menu don't show any networks at all. Sometimes when starting up there like today it doesn't show any networks at all without doing anything.

Info:

- upgraded from win8.1 --> win 10 Home

- Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wirless Network Adapter

- driver version 3.0.2.182

Updating the Atheros driver felt like the natural end to start checking, but even though this model is on Acer's win10 support list, no wifi/atheros drivers for windows 10 is available when searching on Acer's dirver download section. Nothing found also when searching for updates at Device Manager. I hope and guess since win10 is a year old now, the current driver is meant to be fine and is nothing Acer "forgot" to do? Anyone knows?

Did try run Windows System File Checker, no problems found there. The unoffical site atheros-drivers.com claim to have a "newer" win10 driver for my model, but not really my cup of tea to mess with unoffical drivers, it really shouldn't be necessary.

After searching the web I have seen all kinds of symptom variations of wifi-issues on win10 upgrades, a few similar mine but with very different solutions. Really a mess for the "average user" to know where to start troubleshooting unfortunately.

Anyone with experience of a similar problem? Have a fine win8.1 system image to roll back to as a last resort if I can't sort it out, but would be a shame. :-(

Thanks in advance for input!

Best Answer

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Any time I have a driver issue like that, I open Device Manager, go to the device, and Uninstall/Delete the device drive. Then reboot and let the system discover the drive automagically.

With the WiFi driver that can be more difficult. Can you connect directly to your router for a network connection ? (a decent 10/100/USB 2.0 connector is under $12 on Amazon, $15 for a USB 3.0 10/100/1000.

Answers

• padgett
    Answer ✓

Any time I have a driver issue like that, I open Device Manager, go to the device, and Uninstall/Delete the device drive. Then reboot and let the system discover the drive automagically.

With the WiFi driver that can be more difficult. Can you connect directly to your router for a network connection ? (a decent 10/100/USB 2.0 connector is under $12 on Amazon, $15 for a USB 3.0 10/100/1000.

• Cander

Going to try that when I'm at a "bad" location next time even though its inconvinient, but I'm pretty sure it would juding on similar observed cases.

Turning wifi off here at home and using the phone's USB tethering worked fine, and I'm sure it would work in any case too, so at least I can't stop panicing having a not functioning computer at work at the moment

EDIT: Would it be worth a shot by the way to uninstall the wifi driver in this case or not, and hope for magic on reboot?

• padgett

Never hurts to make a change and see what happens when something is not working right. Have seen IRQ/Memory conflicts resolve when done that way. OTOH if one of the internal wires is unplugged will not help but this sounds like software.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

You could also check your Event Viewer for any entries relating to music.UI or zunemusic, if you find any, go to settings, then system, click on Default Apps and change Music Player to different player than the default Grove music. I did have a lot of drop outs in Wi-Fi but since I have switched to Windows Media player I haven't had any problem with my Wi-Fi. HTH.

• Cander

Padgett's *uninstalling the Atheros AR5BWB222-driver trick* in the Device Manager, followed by rebooting (did plug in a network cable to make sure if Windows, as I assumed, need internet connection to research the driver) seems to have resolved the issue at work (first time I got the here to try) and I hope it's permament! Same driver version was installed, for the reference.

Will post into the thread again for future reference, if this wasn't the end of this case.

Thanks for fast and great responses!