[Aspire P3-171] Windows 10 CPU core problems

Options
Gebbi
Gebbi Member Posts: 2 New User

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 on my P3-171. I've installed all Windows updates and drivers from the support page (including recent BIOS), but everything was still running very slow.

After looking at the performance information in task manager I saw that the CPU is permanently throttled to 800 MHz. Switching the device on/off restores the actual CPU clock frequency but rebooting the system resets it to 800 MHz.

Furthermore Windows 10 can only utilize one core. All cores/threads show up in task manager but only one thread is utilized, the other three threads remain idle even under high usage conditions.

I looked at the affinity of my processes and all of them are automatically set to only CPU 0. Trying to change the affinity is being ignored (it's simply reset to only CPU 0 immediately afterwards).

Does anyone know how to fix those problems? Otherwise I guess I'll have to choice but to downgrade to Windows 8...

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

If you have time and space on the HDD, could you try to install another windows 10 OS from a USB drive and check if you have this issues in a fresh install which wasn't upgraded. It can be that the settings were screwed up when you upgraded from w8 to w10. I don't recommend to do a refresh of the PC from windows10 settings because you will lose the ability to roll back to w8.

However, you will need a partition to do this. I really think that the issue is in the upgrade process and a fresh windows would work OK, but I cannot guarantee it.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi,

If you have time and space on the HDD, could you try to install another windows 10 OS from a USB drive and check if you have this issues in a fresh install which wasn't upgraded. It can be that the settings were screwed up when you upgraded from w8 to w10. I don't recommend to do a refresh of the PC from windows10 settings because you will lose the ability to roll back to w8.

However, you will need a partition to do this. I really think that the issue is in the upgrade process and a fresh windows would work OK, but I cannot guarantee it.

• Gebbi
    Gebbi Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

"I don't recommend to do a refresh of the PC from windows10 settings because you will lose the ability to roll back to w8."

I just did exactly that (I made a backup of my Windows 8 system partition before upgrading to Windows 10). Everything is running smoothly now, all CPU threads are utilized without any permanent clock throttling. Thanks for the hint!