Aspire M3-581TG DVD drive not working since Windows 10 upgrade

almightymat
almightymat Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi there,

I recently installed Winsdows 10 on my 3-4 years old Aspire laptop, and after fixing the wifi and bluetooth drivers problems I've just found that my DVD drive no longer works!

It shows up in My Computer, Device Manager etc and has power and makes whirrs, but it won't read any discs, DVD or CD.

Is it an issue with the driver in Windows 10? I upgraded from WIndows 7 64 bit, jumping straight over WIndows 8 and 8.1...I've spent about 10 hours googling this and similar faults and I give up, its time to ask for help! Smiley Happy

Incidentally I never thought to check the Acer website for a list of WIndioows 10 upgrade supported computers given that Microsoft said that my device could take the upgrade, as I bet many people didn't - why would you? This list of basic failings is getting annoying enough that I might just rioll  back to WIn7....

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Mat

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

The drivers for DVD drives are pretty generic so I would be really surprised if that were it... But you can fire up Device Manager and see if it sees any issues. If there's any chance you might have opened up your computer frecently you could double check the cables. It's possible the drive itself is having problems, it would be quite a coincidence but possible.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Gats
    Gats Member Posts: 22 New User

I have the Aspire ZC-606 desktop. After I upgaded from 8.1 to windows 10, my drives NOR my ports are visible. Ive googled it and read in many forums that this is an ongoing problem for some computers. I am still loking for a solution myself. My 31 days is up so I can no longer go back to 8.1. I really need my disc drives as this is a business computer... PLEASE HELP!!

• almightymat

I had to roll it back to WIndows 7in the end, no help out there for the DVD drive issue - my 31 days were also up but I had the option to reinstall 7 from a partition on my Acer hard drive? Something to check for...

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Not the first one. See here . Particularly resolution 4.

• almightymat

"Support for Windows XP has ended"

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Keep scrolling. Resolution 4 usually works for me. Any version of windows that loses the DVD.