Aspire E1-572 - original Windows 8 preinstalled product key

Options
AndreeaB
AndreeaB Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought my Acer Aspire E1-572 in March 2014 with a preinstalled Windows 8. I upgraded to 8.1 and then to Windows 10. Then a friend noticed that my laptop was running very slow and offered to create a separate partition for all my personal files. He wiped it all clean without realising that preinstalled Windows doesn't come with an oldfashioned label of the product key for Windows so now I have a Windows 10 version that cannot be activated. The vendor referred me to Microsoft, they referred me to Acer but ..I am out of warranty. I am afraid to attempt refreshing my laptop since there is no previous version of Windows 8 left on it to go back to. Pleeeaaaaase HELP!

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

How did you originally upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10?  Through windows update?

If you had previously upgraded to windows 10 and know that windows 10 was activated,then you can proceed with your windows 10 install.

You don't need to enter a key. During the installation, you'll see writing in very small letters like "not now" and "do this later" or "skip".  So just keep skipping when asked to enter a key....and it will automatically activate your windows 10 when it's finished installling (assuming windows 10 was previously activated sucessfully through the proper upgrade procedure).

It's not a big deal to re-install windows 8 again.......and then get windows 10 re-activated for free.  I've done it with both Acer's custom OEM windows 8.1 and the generic Acer OEM Windows 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

There is a good chance the key is stored in the BIOS in which case a third party product like the one from nirsoft can retrieve it.

• AndreeaB
    Options

Thanks for the advice, I tried it and it gave me a Windows (BIOS OEM key) but it still won't work for this version of Windows 10 I have now, it says it has been blocked. Is there any Microsoft application where I can have it checked? I am afraid of trying to reinstall windows 8 and use it there as I think I might not be able to upgrade again for free to windows 10.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

How did you originally upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10?  Through windows update?

If you had previously upgraded to windows 10 and know that windows 10 was activated,then you can proceed with your windows 10 install.

You don't need to enter a key. During the installation, you'll see writing in very small letters like "not now" and "do this later" or "skip".  So just keep skipping when asked to enter a key....and it will automatically activate your windows 10 when it's finished installling (assuming windows 10 was previously activated sucessfully through the proper upgrade procedure).

It's not a big deal to re-install windows 8 again.......and then get windows 10 re-activated for free.  I've done it with both Acer's custom OEM windows 8.1 and the generic Acer OEM Windows 8.1.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

BTW when Win 10 does install it will assign a new key, the Win 8 key does not work for Win 10.

• AndreeaB
    Options

Thank you soooo much for putting my mind at ease and basically solving my otherwise simple problem. It was even a pleasure to read a book and just let Win 8 reinstall and activate and then immediately be prompted to upgrade to Win 10...and now I am all clear. Activated with no problem! If you ever bump into a problem you can't solve, I hope someone like you comes along and helps you :-)