Aspire E 15 ES1-511 series screen has gone black with no cursor

Options
Elbutt
Elbutt Member Posts: 16 New User
Ever since I upgraded to windows 10 I've been having major issues with my screen brightness being too bright with the brightness controls inverted and my laptop not being able to restart properly always getting stuck at the acer bootup screen with the loading loop frozen(seen as two vertical dots). In response to these issues I chose to reset by removing all items and not choosing the factory default option. However when the reset was done and I was setting up my laptop, I accidently closed the lid during critical updates. After setup my laptop was working normally and I wanted to check for more updates. There was a new update and I assumed this would be more fixes so I had to restart my acer. My acer once again got frozen at bootup only this time when I boot it up multiple times I was introduced with the troubleshoot menu. I decided to reset my acer once again. A while later, I saw the screen at 99%. Later I saw that my laptop was starting to bootup, but then it got frozen at the acer logo with the two vertical dots. I shut it down and now my laptop has a black screen without a cursor. I've attempted alt f10, f2/f10, and pressing the pinhole button on the bottom of my acer. The screen is still black. I've not yet attempted to just keep my laptop on for a long while. I am staunch with the fact that the windows 10 update is the cause of all this. Please let me know if there are any other solutions.

Answers

• Elbutt
    Options
    I forgot to mention that my laptop goes past the acer logo screen with the loop working then it becomes a black screen.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you don't have a windows bootable media, go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download the correct version and create a bootable media (DVD/USB), try to boot from that and choose repair my computer, troubleshot - advanced options - startup repair

try to fix it with automatic repair.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Elbutt
    Options
    Can I make the media using a windows 7 toshiba laptop?
  • IronFly
    Options

yes, no problem.

• Elbutt
    Options
    I've downloaded the 64 bit bootable media onto a usb and I've plugged it into my computer. It still has a black screen.
  • IronFly
    Options

if you did correctly the USB media installer, at boot press F12 and choose USB media from the boot list then follow my instructions on previous post.

• Elbutt
    Options

sorry but what edition should I choose? windows 10 home, windows 10 home n, windows 10 home single language, windows 10 pro, or windows 10 pro n?

• IronFly
    Options

if you had windows 8 home, you must download windows 10 home

if you had windows 8 pro, you must download windows 10 pro

• Elbutt
    Options
    On the page you provided there is a 32 bit tool and a 64 bit tool. Is this pertaining to the version of the pc that is downloading the tool into the usb or the version of the pc the usb will be injected into? Because there is an option when executing the media tool after choosing that it will be used on another pc if a 64 bit or a 32 bit is to be downloaded.
  • Elbutt
    Options
    After downloading the 64 bit tool and choosing windows 10 home. The media tool was successfully installed into my usb. However it seems pressing f12 along with the usb in my laptop yields no effect. My laptop is still a black screen.
  • Roadside
    Roadside Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

ES1-551

I had the issue too after the windows 10 upgrade. While plugged into the charger the screen would boot to black and nothing worked to restart the boot process. However it I un-plugged from the charger it would boot fine. While unplugged if I plugged in the charger the screen would go black again.

This worked for me; while plugged into the charger I pressed the start button and held down the F12 key. I continued to hold the F12 key until the screen became gray. I released the F12 key and waited. The Window logon screen came on and all functionality returned.

Good luck.

• rr7
    rr7 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same issue: brightness controls are inverted while the laptop is plugged into the charger. The problem dissappears if I disable fast boot, but returns if I enable it.

Fortunately, there is a workaround. Just download and install the original Windows 8.1 Intel VGA drivers from Acer website (version number: 10.18.10.3496). Other people besides me have confirmed that it fixes the issue. Obviously you will have to force its installation, since Windows will complain that you already have a newer version, but once you install it, the problem should be fixed.

I hope Acer releases updated W10 drivers soon, since this isn't a real solution.