Aspire 7600U and Windows 10 upgrade confusion

JoeW
JoeW Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hello community,

I have an Acer Aspire 7600U. It's a great machine, but apparently Acer has not created or updated the drivers required to fully upgrade it to Windows 10. Specifically, the NVIDIA GeForce display adapter crashes when the Windows 10 update is applied. 

Based on what I've read so far, it seems that Acer has problems supporting the touch screen with the hardware in the 7600U under Windows 10, and has not released the drivers necessary to support the new OS.

That's fine. Disappointing, but fine.

The confusion, however, is that Windows 8.1, the most current version of the Windows OS that the 7600U *does* support, keeps throwing up dialog boxes telling me that my machine will run Windows 10, and wants me to upgrade.

I know I can't (I already tried once before, and I know that completely disabling the NVIDIA hardware will allow Windows 10 to install and run, but why would I want to run that way, especially when a future Windows 10 automatic update is almost certain to break it again).

How do I make Windows 8.1 realize that Acer does *not*, in fact, support installing Windows 10 on the Aspire 7600U at this time? While I'm hoping they'll eventually figure out what needs to be done to make this hardware work under Windows 10, I don't want Windows 10 trying to install itself in the meantime.

Any advice from Acer or the community would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you are not alone but seems that Acer is working with nVidia to give a proper driver; it's not a touchscreen issue but nVidia windows 10 driver keep crashing.

read Paul1 latest posts:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire/Why-can-t-I-upgrade-my-Aspire-7600U-to-windows-10/td-p/381754/page/4

I suggest you to write in that discussion and subscribe so you can be updated. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JoeW
    JoeW Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks, IronFly,

I'd love to get Windows 10 installed on the Aspire 7600U, and I am interested to see how that thread turns out, but for now I'm looking for suggestions on how to suppress the Windows 10 upgrade advertisements on Windows 8.1 until Acer has everything figured out.

Windows 8.1 is convinced I can run Windows 10 (but we both know otherwise), and I'm worried that it's going to kick off the upgrade as a part of an automatic Windows update in the future.

• Sid246
    Sid246 Member Posts: 6 New User

It has now been sorted out. NVIDIA has released a updated driver that works. I just got it the other day, automatically downloaded by Win 10 Auto updates.

I have been running Win 10 since the free upgrade ended (with NVIDIA Disabled, using onboard intel graphic's only).

Now has NVIDIA operational and all is well.

Thought you may like to know?

Cheers!