Aspire 5745pg and Windows 10

Options
Nigel1
Nigel1 Member Posts: 1 New User

The Get Windows 10 app wouldn't work with the NVIDIA GeForce 310 display driver.  To upgrade I went to the ACER store and downloaded BIOS 1.11.  You then have to go to the BIOS setup.  When you first start the computer you have about 3 seconds to hit the F2 key to access the setup before Windows launches.  You then move through the setup using the keyboard arrow keys to the graphics options - then change switchable to discrete (using the Enter key).  (Note that BIOS 1.15 or later have the setting locked to "switchable").  Save and restart.  After the restart wait whilst some drivers are automatically updated.  I then went to the NVIDIA website to download the latest graphics drivers - this automatically gave me the NVIDIA 341.81 display driver package.  I then went back to my Get Windows 10 app - but this still told me that I had the NVIDIA GeForce 310 driver which I knew wasn't true. (I guess that it holds the historic data.)  So, I went to my email from Windows (You've reserved Windows 10 - what's next?) which has a link to the Media Creation Tool to install immediately.  The email states that this is "recommended for tech-savvy users only"!  But the only question asked was - do you want to download to your PC? (Not that tech-savy!)  I then spent about 5 hours watching it download Windows 10 - seems to work OK so far!