Activation - Product Key

Options
suriyapriya
suriyapriya Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought the acer v-5 about 6 months ago from Microsoft store (via Ebay) with windows 8 oem installed. Today I installed a new SSD and fresh installed windows 10 on the SSD. The issue is, windows is not activated. Its asking for the product key. How do I get the key? (Its not found on the laptop or email that I have bought the laptop).

Any help would be appreciated.

THanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

you need to upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 first, then you can do a clean install.

so if you still had the original HDD, put it back, boot and create an Acer erecovery disk using Acer erecovery software, install windows 8 to the SSD and then update to windows 10.

or you can put back the HDD, update to windows 10, check if it's authenticated, then put back the SSD and check if it authenticate.

you don't need to enter any windows 10 product key during installation or even when installed.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

BTW the original OEM key is in the BIOS and several products can retrieve it including one from nirsoft. That will remain after upgrade but Win 10 will be given its own key that is in software.