Acer aspire f5357factory restore fail

Nvfame
Nvfame Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Wants to auto repair, says repairing but take longer then should i assume its in a loop. Cannot retore it wants to repair, cannot wipe just says there is a problem and only option is cancel then co.puter does nothing.

I should just switch back my Mac, I got this because of hard drive issue and now I am dealing with it again. IF these issue come up you can acually talk to a person that knows more then average computer person. Instead of relying on good nature of people of forums to answer.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Generally people are now downloading and creating their own install media, Microsoft make the iso available. 

Then you can re-install keeping data and stuff and have a folder called Windows.old which is the old install.

Next install anti-virus and any missing drivers and effectively you are not at the mercy of Acer factory settings.  I think the forum header files explain some of this.

If in doubt please ask.

• Nvfame
    Nvfame Member Posts: 2 New User
    Installing isn't the issue, as i was saying it won't factory reset it won't repair, it won't restore from a previous back. Waz trying to determine if the hard drive was done for. Not how to click a link download a file that's basically a auto install Windows. Besides the point now I guess, just replaced hard drive after wasting plenty of my time trying to fix it and goi my to forums to no avail.
  • trcooper3
    trcooper3 Member Posts: 1 New User

IT DOES NO GGOD TO CREATE A WINDOWS 10 SETUP FD IF YOU HAVE VERY LIMITED HARD DRIVE DISK SIZE & YOU HAVE TO BE ON WINDOWS 10 v1507, BECAUSE MICROSOFT HAS DONE AWAY WITH BEING ABLE TO DOWNLOAD V1507 ISO.

SO FORGET THAT OPTION.

It sounds like we have the same problem. But to be sure, are you trying to run the reset program from a previously created USB FD?  If so that is my problem. The RESET USB FD will boot, BUT NONE OF THE FUNCTIONS WORK EXCEPT THE COMMAND PROMPT. If you try to do a FACTORY RESET, the message comes up indicating it can't run, but list no failure message. I GUESSED that the problem was with the partitions on the hard drive which was set as a GPT drive (visible running DISKPART LIST DISK).

But before I could learn more about GPT UEFI  partitions, I got fed up and CLEANED the entire disk which wiped out what appeared to be 4 partitions.  I subsequently learned (somewhat) how to create the GPT UEFI hardrive partitions, but I still question the Acer Recovery partition parms, so my RESET USB FD still does not complete the factory reset process. Only now I get a message saying "A PARTITION IS MISSING". So that has got to be progress.

If you have not "cleaned" your hard drive, then I would say don't do it without 1st getting all the info about the partitions on the drive. To do so, go into COMMAND PROMPT and run DISKPART. Then do SELECT DISK 0. Then do LIST VOLUME which will show you some of the info needed. Then do  LIST PARTITION which will give you th rest of the info needed. I would be curious to know what are the parameters you see.