Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 (A01-431)

Options
Hdevries
Hdevries Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
My operating system is missing. Now when I turn on I get the Acer logo and then it goes to a black screen then Acer logo then black screen and just continues this over and over. Called support. Recovery did not work. So I created a Recovery media on a us flashdrive. Did not work. Tried using a different flashdrive and it still does not work. I do not want to have to send it in because it will render me without a computer. It keeps,trying to boot but just cannot complete. Anyone have this problem and resolve it? It shows a lock stating "security boot fail" with an explanation that reads USB 2.0 FD has been blocked by the current security policy. Does anyone know the exact settings I should use in the utility set up under F2? What can I try or do? I have been trying non- stop for 3 days now. Please help!

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Try setting a Supervisor password, just short and simple, and sort the boot order if you can to promote the USB to the top of the list.

Set Secure Boot and try again.

It is possible that the HDD has actually failed, and I would create something like a repair USB using /projects/boot-repair-cd/files/boot-repair-disk-64bit.iso which actually may fit a CD, from sorceforge.net.  Write it with Rufus?

This is more to prove the existence of a HDD than to actually install an OS.

If in doubt please ask.

• Hdevries
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I did actually put a password and also made it first in the boot order.

I do not understand the rest if your recommendation as I am a very novice computer user. Can you elaborate?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Well I took your OP original post as that you had made a USB stick with your OS on.  Although you were not very specific on which OS and how big the USB stick was.

I assumed it was W10 and less than 4 Gb in size, that you had actually achieved what Ironfly so comprehensively described.

And that it failed again.

Therefore I thought that a download of the .iso of about 642.9 Mb and then creation

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/

of a USB may very well boot and prove that the HDD was actually available and that the laptop would attempt to load an OS from an external source.

Because there is no proof that you have successfully created a usable media, the BIOS is receptive to it or there is anywhere to install it to.

My recovery media looks like this.

Can you see anything similar on your USB?

• Hdevries
    Options
    That makes absolute sense. I guess I should not have been vague but trying to communicate and type on phone is challenging.
    My USB flash drive us actually 16GB. Plenty of space. I have plugged it in to different computer but cannot open it as it will promt me to format and that will wipe it. I have to assume the Windows 10 OS on the recovery media is good as I went exactly where Acer support told me (Chrome webstore). Is there a way for me to upload videos and pics of what is happening?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Chrome webstore?

this is a windows based device...so any chrome USB restore will not work on your device and if you did a Chrome USB restore device, that's why the other windows based PC is asking to format the USB flash drive.

please follow my previous post to create a bootable windows 10 flash drive compatible with your laptop.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Hdevries
    Options
    Thank you Ironfly. I will try your instructions and come back to let you know if it works. Thank you both for trying to help me!!!